Photographer new to Mac Need Adivice

Reaction score
I have used a PC for 10 years and just purchased the MacBook Pro and am really frustrated. What is the best program to used to store your photos. I am currently putting them in Iphoto but really am not impressed. When I edit in photoshop and save as I can not find the edited version in iphoto. So I have been saving the edited version to my desktop and then I transfer in into iphoto. Just seems like there should be an easier way. Also I use Black River imaging software for my wedding albums and when I try to pull up photos in that software it won't let me import from iphoto. Please help I know there is an easier way thats why I purchased the Mac. Any Advice from a photographer using mac for these purposes would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Since you are using Photoshop, and obvious choice would be Adobe Lightroom. There is a Mac version.

Aperture 3 has functions to simplify using Photoshop as the editor, but I don't use Photoshop so can't comment on how well they work together.

IMO iPhoto is great for casual photographers, but those of us who are more serious and generate more pics, the move to Lightroom or Aperture is a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Don't use iPhoto.

It stores the image in it's own directory some where on you HDD that you can search for, but I honestly though iPhoto was the biggest POS out there.

I use Light Room and Photo Shop for editing and just store images in a series of labeled file folders so I know where everything is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 13.3" 2.13ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb SDRAM 160gb HD
+1 for Lightroom 2 and LR3 is in beta now.

Since Lightroom is Adobe it works with PS very nicely. Lightroom also has many editing features that makes PS collect dust. Batch editing in LR is much easier for me at least and I now only use PS for more complex image editing. The best part of LR is that it doesn't touch the original file because it is non-destructive and doesn't write to the original file unless you tell it to.

Check out Adobe's Lightroom forum and the Lightroom flickr group for LR advice and general image management opinions.

Reaction score
i use lightroom 2, and store all my photos on a 1TB western digital mybook. music and random pictures from the web go on a 250g western digital mybook. my iMac has a 1TB HD, but i make an effort to put everything on the externals.

i have had my mac since january 1st (2010), i too couldn't figure out iphoto. everything seems to disappear in that program. haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5inch iMac; 4GB RAM; 3.06 Intel Duo
I only use iPhoto for my best images. For everything else I use Lightroom. I know some people like Aperture but I found it just a scaled up version of iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I use Aperture (2), hopefully upgrading to 3 soon, and the Photoshop integration works really well. It simply creates a new version and saves the changes there. It also plays well with most plug-ins. You've probably boarded the Lightroom ship by now, but I'm just putting in my two cents for Aperture.

C

chas_m

When I edit in photoshop and save as I can not find the edited version in iphoto. So I have been saving the edited version to my desktop and then I transfer in into iphoto. Just seems like there should be an easier way.

There is.

Set Photoshop as your default "external editor" in iPhoto. Then double-click the picture *from within iPhoto*. Photoshop will open, you'll do your thing, and when you save the updated photo automagically appears in iPhoto. Simple.

That said, there are other options too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac with i7 and 4GB. yippie! iPhone 4 16gb-blk
I didn't even bother with iPhoto. When i originally bought my Lightroom 2 disc, it had both PC and MAC versions. Very easy to import, manage, store and edit photos. I love it. Well worth the investment.

Reaction score
thanks for the tip!

Chas-m

Thanks for the tip. Had no idea this option even existed. Mine is low-volume hobby stuff. Takes the few pics I'll want to mess with straight to LR2 w/o having to import/select/...This method will work sweet for the way I operate. Thanks.
Todd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
I wouldnt bother with iPhoto - I'm an aperture user and upgraded to Aperture 3 a little while ago and was very impressed with it

Personally, I loveded LR (more so the look) I have both LR2 and the beta LR3 but feel it was sluggish on my 27" iMac and more so on my MBP

Aperture 3 runs so smoothly, its simple and really powerful

You can still set PS as your external editor

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBp 2.4ghz, 4 gb + apple 20" Cinema
Aperture 3, far more than a scaled up iphoto. Also worth checking out the Nik software package for Aperture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Love Lightroom 2. Use it exclusively on our MacBook Pro's and it's very streamlined. Very fast. Lightroom 3 promises to be even better, and LR integrates perfectly with Photoshop.

Tried Aperture 2 some time back out of curiosity and it was sluggish to the point of not being usable. Tried Aperture 3 *twice* a few weeks ago because I was curious again, and it was just as bad, if not worse. If not for Aperture's snail like behavior and tendency to create half hour long beach balls, I'd recommend trying it too, but I can not do that in good faith.

Doesn't really matter though. I feel that LR is a better product in almost every way. Almost. I kind of prefer Apertures GUI a bit more, and it has a stamp/clone tool which LR only answers with a heal/clone brush...and truthfully isn't as good. It works very well, but it's not the same type of tool.

However.. if you've seen anything about what PS 5 can do.. none of that will even be a concern. Seriously.. have you seen the PS 5 videos ? Amaaazing stuff in there ! (though to be honest I don't really go for heavy handed processing.. but the removal tool is really *WOW *).

Oh, and if you get LR 2 now, you'll only pay $100 to upgrade to LR 3 when it's out, should you choose to go that route. OR.. if you're a student or an educator, and your school participates, you can try getting an educational discount for huge savings here: Adobe Lightroom 2 (Mac / Win) for $98.95 at Academic Superstore

The sign up process can be a pain, but well worth it to save all that cash in the end. It's a pain because you have to prove that you're a student or work for the school which participates by emailing or faxing a copy of your ID etc.. Still very much worth it.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.