Photo Stream won't do its thing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Brand new SE 3rd gen iPhone. Everything migrated beautifully, but the photo stream doesn't work. Took 3 pix and they are still sitting in "Recents" without showing up in Photo Stream; not even the Photo Stream on the phone. I have Photo Stream enabled. Restarting the phone didn't change anything. I don't want to use iCloud for photos, but I want my photos on my MBA, iPad and phone. What am I doing wrong please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Not waiting long enough. Syncing is not a priority. It is a background process when the device is not being used, and will do so as permitted.

If you just got the phone and restored from iCloud (or just moved to the new device), it's still getting things organized.

Test it again after you've had it for a few days

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not waiting long enough. Syncing is not a priority. It is a background process when the device is not being used, and will do so as permitted.

If you just got the phone and restored from iCloud (or just moved to the new device), it's still getting things organized.

Test it again after you've had it for a few days
Thanks. I was expecting it to behave like my iPhone 8, which put photos into Photo Stream the day I got it. Will try to be patient!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Mine sometimes take ages. If desperate, I Airdrop to MBP.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine sometimes take ages. If desperate, I Airdrop to MBP.
I've resorted to that often too. Thought the problem was my old phone, but the new one still isn't talking to my other devices. Grrr.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE: Photo Stream still not working.
The phone receives pix from other devices, but the photos I take with the phone stay there. They don't even go to the Photo Stream on the phone. All apps are updated, and I think the phone has had plenty of resting time to get used to the idea. Photo Stream in enabled, and I've restarted the phone several times. How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don't know if you saw this article, but I didn't know the Camera app may stop Photostream from syncing.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if you saw this article, but I didn't know the Camera app may stop Photostream from syncing.

Thank you. I've done all of this, and still no go. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the phone.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I've done all of this, and still no go. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the phone.

And I think you may right. I have used Photo Stream from its outset; but for the last 6+ weeks, I cannot get Photo Stream to work at all. I have to manually input my pics from iPhone 13 Pro to my iMac via USB cable. It seems to have started with the iOS 15 update.

I had hoped that, since then, the various updates to iOS, macOS would help. Not a chance. I upgraded my iMac from Big Sur to Monterey. Problem persists.

So I don't think that your iPhone is at fault; I'm more inclined to believe it's a software change or glitch.

Ian

BTW Where the article says that Photo Stream will ONLY work if the Camera app is quit, is not true. In the past, it worked as I was actually using the Camera. And quitting the Camera app, as I always do at the end of a shoot, has made no difference at al.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@IWT your reply made me think of Apple System Services and I found that there were issues with with some services including Photos. Probably not what affected everyone, since it only states when it was resolved.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 6.43.43 AM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Nice find, Bob. Could well be the problem.

Whatever; I can't get it to work at all. Yes; I could call Apple as all my devices are still under AppleCare+, but I can't muster the patience or energy. You know what I mean;):(. Anyway, it's a minor nuisance for me, that's all.

Thank you for your post, though.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes; I could call Apple as all my devices are still under AppleCare+, but I can't muster the patience or energy.
Strange comment, Ian. Every time I've called Apple I've gotten great support. Much better than other providers who leave you on endless hold...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
other providers who leave you on endless hold...
I agree whole heartedly as I was on the phone with Verizon about one of my kids Samsung phone this weekend. 3 hours on Saturday and another hour and a half on Sunday. Thankfully the issues were resolved satisfactory, but we're still waiting for the replacement, because they wouldn't (couldn't?) ship it on Sunday.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@IWT your reply made me think of Apple System Services and I found that there were issues with with some services including Photos. Probably not what affected everyone, since it only states when it was resolved.

View attachment 35935
Just updated, but don't see any change yet. Hoping...

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange comment, Ian. Every time I've called Apple I've gotten great support. Much better than other providers who leave you on endless hold...

I gave the wrong impression, obviously. Didn't mean that. I've always had tremendous support. My poorly worded comment was a reflection on my lassitude and general lack of determination coupled with an expectancy that the solution was likely to be complicated.

My error, guys. Sorry. Apple support is seriously great.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Anything in this article from Apple? I sync my photos through iCloud, so PhotoStream isn't an issue for me.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anything in this article from Apple? I sync my photos through iCloud, so PhotoStream isn't an issue for me.

Thanks, but I've done all this. I think I'm going back to Apple and asking them to either fix this or replace the phone

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE #2
Spent 90 minutes on phone with Apple Support, and they couldn't solve it. They sent the info to their engineering department, and they will call me back. She did say that this is not uncommon. Hmmm

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I conducted an unexpected experiment which may throw some light on where the problem arises.

As I stated above, My Photo Stream has not worked for me since iOS 15.0

Last evening, I inadvertently took a screenshot of the iPhone screen by accidentally gripping the power button on the right and the upper volume button on the left - easily done.

The screenshot appeared almost instantly in Photos on my iMac. It also appeared in My Photo Stream on the iPhone and my iPad.

What this suggests to me - others feel free to contribute - is that the "fault" lies at the camera level because taking photos with the camera do not appear in My Photo Stream; but the screenshot doesn't use the camera as such. It's an internal "arrangement" and that does go into My Photo Stream.

Any ideas guys?

Ian

PS I noted the experience @rainbowcat had when Apple couldn't solve the problem after 1.5 hours on the phone. As the problem appears not to affect everybody - could it be a regional issue affecting only certain Apple servers???

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I conducted an unexpected experiment which may throw some light on where the problem arises.

As I stated above, My Photo Stream has not worked for me since iOS 15.0

Last evening, I inadvertently took a screenshot of the iPhone screen by accidentally gripping the power button on the right and the upper volume button on the left - easily done.

The screenshot appeared almost instantly in Photos on my iMac. It also appeared in My Photo Stream on the iPhone and my iPad.

What this suggests to me - others feel free to contribute - is that the "fault" lies at the camera level because taking photos with the camera do not appear in My Photo Stream; but the screenshot doesn't use the camera as such. It's an internal "arrangement" and that does go into My Photo Stream.

Any ideas guys?

Ian

PS I noted the experience @rainbowcat had when Apple couldn't solve the problem after 1.5 hours on the phone. As the problem appears not to affect everybody - could it be a regional issue affecting only certain Apple servers???
I can't even get screen shots to go over to Photo Stream. I want them to replace this phone; I don't think the engineers are going to solve anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.