Photo shop books and textbooks

Reaction score
Hey guys, So here is my position. I'm working in Iraq and I'm finding myself with a lot of free time while at work. I'm looking for something to help me get through the long work hours and doing nothing during them. I'd like to teach myself editing with Photo Shop. The thing is my internet connection is horrible and I can't stream anything. Which leads me to my question. What are some good books for getting accustomed to Photo Shop. I've never used PS and I'd say I'd classify myself as a novice. Also what version of PS would best suit me? I'm not looking to do any 3D designing or anything crazy like that, but I'd like to get pretty good with all aspects of PS too.

OP
B
Reaction score
Man no comments after days..... Okay how about a good photo shop forum with guides for begginers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB
I find CS3 works for me for everything I need. I've been using it for years. Also, my favourite Photoshop book in the Photoshop Bible. It's huge. There are a few different editions, but you should definitely buy one that corresponds with the version of Photoshop you are using. Hope this helps! Have fun!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You could try David Pouges Missing manuals ... CS4

LINKY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Thanks so much for asking this question! Years back my father gave me his old mac with OS9 and other progs on it, including PS. He gave me Adobe Photoshop 6.0 "Classroom in a Book". I had totally forgotten about that book, it comes with a CD and tutorials. I actually wanted to check it out again and see if they had gone out like a lot of the other great books did. Right now I have "Teach yourself Visually" for a number of different CS2 progs. I have CS2 and snow leopard but I had the TYV for Tiger I think it was. TYV are good for reference. I find/found that I best learn hands on so the tutorial books really helped me, plus I like doing tutorials. Adobe - Books - Classroom in a Book Again I was given Illustrator WOW at the same time (which is a tutorial book also included a CD by Peachpress I think) but I'm not sure if they stopped for Photoshop. If you do a little searching I'm sure you'll find a tutorial book for your chosen program. I would advise to go with CS# that Adobe is still supporting and read reviews on them.

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
Do a search for Scott Kellby books, and you should find all the books you will need.

C

chas_m

+1 recommendation for the Scott Kelby books. Also look for anything by Deke McClelland.

And (as you probably know by now) it's "Photoshop" one word. :)

Reaction score
There are a lot of good answers here already, but let me throw my 2 cents in...

I have been using photoshop since the 1st version and have read a lot of books on it and keep several for reference...

Considering the fact that your just getting into photoshop I would recommend Adobes' 'Photoshop, classroom in a book' first... It pretty much shows you what the program is comprised of, what all the tools do, where to find things in the menus...

Once you have a good grasp of the programs basic functionality I would recommend the 'photoshop bible' for reference and a few tips and tricks... this is a pretty good book because it touches all the bases...

Deke McMlelland is essentially the go-to photoshop guru for taking photoshop to it's limits and really stretching the functionality, but while as someone new to photoshop you would be able to follow what he is saying he rarely touches on the basics... I would hold off on getting Dekes books til after you get the basics down... I have nothing against Deke but he might not be the best for a beginner, for example some tools and filters in photoshop are capable of creating multitudes of effects beyond what they were designed for and by solely following Deke you may not ever get the basic functions of the tools and filters...

The way I went about learning photoshop is probably different than most, I started using photoshop with the first version... I kind of grew with the program and learned the functionality of the tools as they were released with each new version... but I would recommend starting with learning the basics because in photoshop even the basic tools and functions are powerful and can accomplish most of your goals... And then once you've got a grasp on that look up things as you have a need for them in other resources...

As for what version to buy... anything version 7 and up is probably going to be fine and cs3 or 4 if money isn't an issue...

have fun using PS and stay safe out there!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.