Photo Delay in Icloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), Apple Watch: IPad Mini 3: Iphone 12 Pro
Hi-

I hope everyone is doing well! If I take a picture on my iPhone, shouldn't I be able to see it fairly quickly on my MacBook Pro photo app? I don't, it takes quite some time. Is there a way to force this to occur? I do not want to have to airdrop each time, it seems counterproductive if I am using iCloud correctly. Thanks

Allison

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Can you be a bit more definitive about what "quite some time" and "fairly quickly" mean? I use iCloud and pictures I take show up in a few minutes if I'm on the same WiFi network, longer if I'm on cellular on the iPhone and WiFi for the Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you be a bit more definitive about what "quite some time" and "fairly quickly" mean? I use iCloud and pictures I take show up in a few minutes if I'm on the same WiFi network, longer if I'm on cellular on the iPhone and WiFi for the Mac.

Thanks for responding! I took a photo at 5:17 pm and its 5:42pm and still no picture is showing up in my MacBook photo app. 'edit' I am on wifi here at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should be faster than that in those circumstances. I don't know of a way to "force" a synchronization other than to log out of and then back into iCloud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about checking your Photos settings on the iPhone and let us know what they are? Maybe a wizard will come along with a suggestion for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about checking your Photos settings on the iPhone and let us know what they are? Maybe a wizard will come along with a suggestion for you.

ICloud Photos - set to ON
Optimize Phone Storage - set to ON
Upload to My Photo Stream - set to ON
Upload Burst Photos - set to OFF
Shared Albums - set to OFF
Cellular Data - set to ON with Unlimited Updates set to ON
Transfer to Mac or PC - set to Automatic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Burst photos are pretty easy to do accidentally. Could it be that the images that don't sync are bursts? I think there is no harm in turning on bursts there. You can later on delete any accidental bursts in Photos and it will sync back to eliminate the dupes from the phone.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I may have identified a problem. I think my space is too low on my phone to upload any photos to Icloud and apparently if I delete them, it will delete them from iCloud as well. Is this correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, if you delete on the iPhone, they will be deleted from iCloud. Again, maybe a wizard can come along and tell you if/how that can be handled.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Allison,

This may be a rather long reply.

Firstly, before we look at settings, I suggest you connect your iPhone via USB to your Mac, open Photos app and transfer everything to the Mac that is not there already. This is to safeguard all your pictures when we alter the settings.

Now, I'm going to give my settings on the iPhone and on the Mac and, hopefully, explain their relevance:)

On the iPhone:

Settings > Photos:

iCloud Photos OFF
My Photo Stream ON
Upload Burst Photos OFF
Shared Albums OFF

OTHER settings to taste

On Your Mac > Photos app > Preferences > iCloud

iCloud Photos ON
Download Original to this Mac or Optimise Mac Storage - your choice
My Photo Stream ON

Why these settings?

It means that when you take a picture with your iPhone it will (a) go into and remain in "Recents" (b) go into "My Photo Stream" from which it will automatically sync with your computer within seconds or a minute provided you are in WiFi range (c) appear in "My Photo Stream" of any other iDevice linked to your Apple ID.

If you delete a picture from "My Photo stream" on your iPhone it will also be deleted from any other iDevice linked to your Apple ID BUT NOT be deleted from your Mac. And that picture will also REMAIN in your "Recents" Album on your iPhone till you are ready to delete them - (usually after they are safely on your Mac and you want to save space on your iPhone)

Doing things this way means that backing up to the iCloud is from your Mac where you have total control.

Once pictures are on the Mac, either by syncing or via USB connection, there they stay.

Once on your Mac, Deleting pictures from "Recents" or "My Photo stream" on the iPhone will not affect your Mac nor its sync with iCloud.

In my view, this is the safest and most economical way of managing your pictures.

(Some people want to access ALL their pictures on ALL iDevices. I have not gained the impression that this is your intent).

How does this sound to you?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And there's the wizard! Thanks, Ian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have the settings Ian describes but also find there's sometimes a delay in phone photos appearing on the MBP, even when sitting side by side. If I need the photo straightaway i share via AirDrop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
Fantastic info. It always pays to read these posts. I learn so much.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.