photo database

Reaction score
hey,im basically putting together a database of pictures i want to access using keywords,but i want to keyword folders not individual images,does anyone have ideas?
ive tried bridge,iview and lightroom but i cant see how to search by folders not images.
anyone out there got an idea or suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
You have checked iPhoto haven't you?

OP
L
Reaction score
i have but i dont like how photo creates its own folders when you import the pictures into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Lightroom. Smart collections.
tv.adobe.com will show you how.

Reaction score
i have but i dont like how photo creates its own folders when you import the pictures into it.

Those are called Events, if you don't like them don't use them, I don't use them, most I never even give a name. Set up some Smart Albums and use Keywords and rules to place photos in them, you can then find any photo with just a few key strokes or just click on the Smart Album to see the contents. You can add multiple keywords to a photo and have it show in multiple Smart Albums without having more than one copy of it. I have a folder in the left side bar of iPhoto with a Smart Album for each of the 25 states I travel in. I can click on the Az Smart Album and by the time I type P h o every photo I have of Phoenix is on the screen. Holidays is another folder I have that is full of Smart Albums. Give a little fore thought to how you want to find and show your photos and you will be able to find any photos with just few key strokes. You can add or delete key words or Smart Albums as you develop new ideas on how you want to explore your photos. Don't just pass over iPhoto just because you don't like the way it does things by default. There are many ways to set it up to make the management of you photos easy.

OP
L
Reaction score
i get what youre saying about iphoto,but my problem is i dont want to tag photos,but rather the folders holding the images.
its for a location database,of about 600 locations with about 10 to 15 images in each folder.so when i search i want it to find the folders containing the images,not all the tagged images.
i can do it through finder(spotlight)
but i then have to manualy drop the images into a viewing program or just preview them,but i want to see if theres a program that could do it for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If you do as Pomeroy said, you will have a smart album for each keyword and you won't have to search. There will just be an "album" in the left pane that you can simply open and have what you want. No more searching!

Reaction score
i get what youre saying about iphoto,but my problem is i dont want to tag photos,but rather the folders holding the images.
its for a location database,of about 600 locations with about 10 to 15 images in each folder.so when i search i want it to find the folders containing the images,not all the tagged images.
i can do it through finder(spotlight)
but i then have to manualy drop the images into a viewing program or just preview them,but i want to see if theres a program that could do it for me.

This is what Smart Albums are. Make a Smart Album called "Location 1" give it the Rule to place any photo with the Keyword "Location 1" inside. When you import the photos for Location 1 select them all at one time and with one click you can add the Keyword Location 1 and they will instantly be in the right album, no dragging or scrolling to find a folder to drop them in. When you want to find all the photos from "Location 1" start typing in the search box at the bottom of iPhoto and all those photos will appear, if you think you still need to see the Smart Album (Folder) they are in just look in the side bar. With 600 you may want to drag the ones you are most interested in to the top of the list for easy access. I know you said it is for a Database, when you start thinking about organizing like a database and NOT in folders you will find iPhoto a quite powerful way to organize and find your photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.