Phone calls with Macbook Air via Android Smartphone

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a temporary solution for a problem my workplace 'remote desktop' ie working at home.

I have a Macbook Air running OS Catalina. I can bluetooth link it to my Android Smartphone-no problem.

Can I make calls from Macbook with my USB headset and microphone, using my mobile phone network? (I will shortly buy a headset and mic to plug direct into my phone. I just need a temporary solution for a few days.)

Do I need to download Adobe Connect or similar to set up a keypad on my Mac desktop?

Any help with this question much appreciated.

Ruairi

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure what you're asking can be done with an Android device. I know it can be done with an iPhone connected thru your Mac.

Adobe Connect is for Web Conferencing and as far as I know can not be used as a keypad to dial out with. It will, however, use your built in MBA webcam. Adobe Connect is free for 90 days (trial).

If we knew exactly what it is you're trying to do working from home we may be able to suggest something. Why do you need to have your phone connected thru your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
G
Reaction score
Hi chscag. Thanks very much for your reply.

I currently make phone calls for work on a Linphone with SIP account set up on my Mac Airbook. I use a headset and mic plugged into the computer. Sometimes line quality is very poor. When that happens I have to make the call on my mobile which makes simultaneous typing almost impossible. I will get a headset with microphone specifically for my mobile. (My current headset only has a USB plug compatible with my computer.) But for the next couple of days I am hoping to use my computer headset and Mac to call through my Android phone.......if that's possible.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But for the next couple of days I am hoping to use my computer headset and Mac to call through my Android phone.......if that's possible.....

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, connecting in that manner thru your Android phone is not possible as far as I'm aware. As stated above, I know that it works with an iPhone and a compatible version of iOS. Maybe someone else has an idea that might work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Can I make calls from Macbook with my USB headset and microphone, using my mobile phone network?

Why not just Install and use Skype.app on your MacBook???

Or do I understand that you need more than it can offer???

- Patrick
======

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with Linphone and SIP account is the net often gives a very poor audio line. My mobile phone network is usually very clear though.

Ruairi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.