Permanently Switching OS X to Windows

Reaction score
Hey guys! I currently have a MacBook Pro 13" 2012 and I'm trying to see if there's a way to turn my operating system to Windows 7 forever without running OS X in the background. I'm not sure if bootcamp could do it or if I'd need something else. (Our family owns Windows 7 so that shouldn't be a problem.)

Also, if this is possible should I factory reset the mac before going through with it?

Finally, if it were running windows would I be able to disable mouse acceleration, the forced acceleration on mac has always bugged me. Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys! I currently have a MacBook Pro 13" 2012 and I'm trying to see if there's a way to turn my operating system to Windows 7 forever without running OS X in the background.

Why would you want to run Windows only on an Apple Macintosh computer? It sort of defeats the purpose of having a Macintosh computer & not run OS X…or OS X + Windows.

If you just want to run Windows. Sell this MacBook Pro…and purchase a Windows computer. You may even come out with some extra cash to spare!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
and even if your family owns windows 7 you can only use it on one machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Why would you want to run Windows only on an Apple Macintosh computer? It sort of defeats the purpose of having a Macintosh computer & not run OS X…or OS X + Windows.

If you just want to run Windows. Sell this MacBook Pro…and purchase a Windows computer. You may even come out with some extra cash to spare!:)

- Nick

First of all thanks for the quick response!

Secondly, yeah, you're right it kinda does defeat the purpose... I've just gotten so tired of like 90% of programs being incompatible with mac and of course the forced mouse acceleration.

Do you have a rough estimate by any chance of how much they could sell for? I see refurbished ones for like $900 but on some websites used ones are only a few hundred, I know Apple wouldn't give you full price for it but I assume they'd give you close to what they re-sell it for.

P.S. The ram in my mac was upgraded from 4 to 8 gigs so I don't know if that would affect the price.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You say it's a 2012 MBP, but provide the other specs. Apple won't give you anything at all, you only have 14 days from purchase for a refund. Beyond that, you own it. You have to sell it in a private sale to make anything on it. Looks at Craigslist, eBay and other sites for your model to get an idea of what they are going for.

If you just want to run Windows, then just grab a Windows computer and you'll get a legal copy of Windows with that. Your family's copy of Windows 7 has already been activated and cannot be used on another machine anyway..

OP
R
Reaction score
You say it's a 2012 MBP, but provide the other specs. Apple won't give you anything at all, you only have 14 days from purchase for a refund. Beyond that, you own it. You have to sell it in a private sale to make anything on it. Looks at Craigslist, eBay and other sites for your model to get an idea of what they are going for.

If you just want to run Windows, then just grab a Windows computer and you'll get a legal copy of Windows with that. Your family's copy of Windows 7 has already been activated and cannot be used on another machine anyway..

Sorry I didn't know you couldn't use another computer's Windows, but for selling it the specs are:
Macbook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Macintosh HD
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

I found this on eBay:
Apple 2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2 5GHz Core i5 500GB HD 4GB RAM MD101LL A AppleCare 200002717313 | eBay

I want to make sure that's my model, if it is then it seems like a pretty good price.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, that's your model and that's a good price. Did you happen to purchase AppleCare for the remaining 2 years before the first year went out? If so, that increases the value of a MBP as opposed to one that doesn't have it..

OP
R
Reaction score
Yup, that's your model and that's a good price. Did you happen to purchase AppleCare for the remaining 2 years before the first year went out? If so, that increases the value of a MBP as opposed to one that doesn't have it..

I think we do, also do you know if it having 8 gigs of ram increases the value?

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having 8GB of memory differentiates this MBP from others of the same vintage with just the 4GB, but since the upgrade costs about $50-$60 if you were to do it yourself, what part of that are you going to see?

AppleCare provides a much bigger increase than the RAM, IMO..

OP
R
Reaction score
Having 8GB of memory differentiates this MBP from others of the same vintage with just the 4GB, but since the upgrade costs about $50-$60 if you were to do it yourself, what part of that are you going to see?

AppleCare provides a much bigger increase than the RAM, IMO..

Alright. Thank you guys! You were really helpful =P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.