pdf creator

Reaction score
Hello,

I am teaching to students and want to post more texts for my students on the schoolsite. Although most items are freely accessible, there are a few presentations I want to block from being downloaded or printed. Someone told me I can integrate such a blocking command when I convert a presentation or Word document in a pdf file. But I do not find a pdf creator that allows me to do that. Who can help me out here? Thank you

I am new to mc forums and still have to find my way around. Any tips are helpful. Thank you

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To be able to add document level security (inability to print and so on) you will have to use Adobe Acrobat (the official creator software) to do it. I doubt that many 3rd party tools that generate PDFs have that level of control over the security. Now as far as preventing downloads go, that's a functionality of the security on the website and not PDF (or any other format) itself.

You might want to explore online slidesharing websites that will give you the security you want. However, remember that its perfectly easy for anyone to see your document and then screenshot each page and create their own PDF that can be printed.

So you have to wonder if your data is no valuable that you need to protect it..

OP
I
Reaction score
To be able to add document level security (inability to print and so on) you will have to use Adobe Acrobat (the official creator software) to do it. I doubt that many 3rd party tools that generate PDFs have that level of control over the security. Now as far as preventing downloads go, that's a functionality of the security on the website and not PDF (or any other format) itself.

You might want to explore online slidesharing websites that will give you the security you want. However, remember that its perfectly easy for anyone to see your document and then screenshot each page and create their own PDF that can be printed.

So you have to wonder if your data is no valuable that you need to protect it..

Dear Raz0rEdge

Thank you very much for your information. Adobe Acrobat is too expensive. Hopefully I will find an alternative. But thanks anyway

M

MacInWin

You could put a watermark in the PDF to say that it is copyrighted by you. Put it directly over some of the material so that it cannot be easily edited out. You can even do that in Word, then print to a PDF file and it will be indelible in the resulting PDF. Won't stop copying, but at least it will go with that copyright. (That assumes, that is, that the material is original to you. If it's not, you need to obtain permission from those who created it originally and agree with them how they want it marked.)

OP
I
Reaction score
I have permission to use the document from the author as far as it can only be read on-screen. The watermark is known to me but I looked for more security. Thank you for your intervention.

M

MacInWin

I have permission to use the document from the author as far as it can only be read on-screen.
That is no permission at all. There is no way for you, on your end, to prevent someone on the other end from taking a screen shot on their computer and then doing whatever they want with it, including reposting, emailing, etc. So, basically, if that's what the author has granted you, you have nothing. Maybe you need to go back to the author and renegotiate the deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.