PCI Card installation issue (Adding USB2.0 slots)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I installed two PCI cards into my PowerPC G5, one NEXTECH2 USB 2.0x4 card model #N5PUPC and one older firewire card.

The firewire card appears to be working fine, however the USB card does not seem to be.

The card came with a driver CD, which I followed the installation process and loaded the drivers and then even moved it from one slot to another.

When I go into System Profiler, how do you check the driver that is running the USB card? How would I go about troubleshooting this?

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
More information...

In the system profiler under PCI Cards it shows 4.

Slot-4 has Card: Firewire, Type: ieee1394, BUS PCI, Slot 4

there are three other entries:
Card: pci1106,3038 Type: USB Universal Host Controller, Bus: PCI, Slot 2
another exactly like above and then one more

Card: pci1106,3104 Type: USB Universal Host Controller, Bus: PCI, Slot 2

There are (4) USB ports on the card, three currently have things connected is that why three are showing up? My assumption that it is not working is a scanner I purchased (reason for the need for more slots) is not being recognized.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The card seems to be "on" but not working.

Even the SanDisk card reader I have when plugged in gets power but is not recognized by the computer...i.e. I put a card in it and am not prompted to do anything.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after much frustration simply returned that PCI card for a ADS TECH USB Turbo that seems to work fine.

Problem solved. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I was thinking the card may just NOT be Mac compatible for some reason. Good info though.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Baggss, you may be correct...it claimed to be compatible with MAC and OS X however I could not get it to work. The second one however from ADS TECH was very much plug and play. Everything worked as soon as the system started up after installation.

No I have two empty USB2 ports...Yeah excess!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.