Password when Deleting Files w/ Yosemite

Reaction score
This morning I used the Grab tool to take a picture of a file I was working on. When I went to put the file in the trash I am asked for my password. I put in the password and it would initially say I didn't have permission. I changed the permissions under "Get Info" but nothing changed. I am now unable to delete any files. I've also tried repairing permissions using Disk Utility.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

OP
U
Reaction score
Just found an issue that may be related.

Noticed now that when I try to save a new file (Microsoft Word document for example), I get an error that states that the drive is write protected or full. Neither of which are true. The saving and deleting issue only happens when trying to work with files on the desktop. Any other location works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd suggest shutdown and reboot and head off to Disk Utility and run it on the selected boot volume and Repair permissions and may as well do the Verify Disk as well.

And are you sure you're actually trying to Save the file to the correct place. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have you actually checked the permissions of not only the drive volumes but also of the associated folders as well such as your Users Desktop folder??

You might want to try using TextEdit and see if it will allow you to save it in the same place just as a test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.