Password required upon start

Reaction score
I received my high-end BTO iMac yesterday, I have been a Windows user for years and will learn to use this iMac and I will have many questions.

All my Windows computers ( 3 ) were set to start without putting in a password.

Can I set this iMac to start without putting in a password?

M

MacInWin

Yes, but you shouldn't. The system will ask you for a password to install software, make certain changes, etc. That one login isn't that painful.

However, if you MUST, go to System Preferences/Security & Privacy, uncheck the box "Disable Automatic login" and you won't be prompted at login. You will, however, still be prompted as I said for installations, changes, etc. It's for your protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Sure, Click on the Apple Icon on the upper left part of your screen and scroll down till you see System Preferences and click it. Once that screen is up, find Users & Groups at the lower part of the preferences window. Then Click on that. When you have the Users & Groups window up, look down to Login Options on the lower left and click on it. From there you will see Automatic Login, by default it is set to OFF, you can turn it on from there. If everything is greyed out, just simply Click the Pad Lock on the lower part of that screen and enter your Admin password to unlock it so you can make your changes.. Hope this helps..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 11.30.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 11.30.25 PM.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 18

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you want the convenience of not having a password but the additional security a password can provide you'll probably need two user accounts. Use an administrator account for things like installing software and other system level changes. Use the standard account for everything else. Set it to no password if you like.

BTW with this arrangement you can still make changes without logging in and out of the account. If you are in the standard account and doing something which requires the administrator account credentials use the admin username and password in the box that appears.

If you do this you will probably want to move your files from the current account to the new standard account. We can help with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.