Password not working in System Preference

Reaction score
Hi,
I updated my Mac book pro 15 to big sur.
Trying to make some changes in system preference but its not accepting login password.
Tried changing the password, its working for login the laptop but not accepting the same in system preference.
Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The password required by System Preferences is an Administrator's password, not your own account password (unless your account actually is an Admin account). Every system has to have at least one Admin user to manage the system, so log into System Preferences with that account and you can make the changes you want.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am the only admin, use the same password to login the laptop but not able to use it for changes.
I recently formatted the MacBook. Seems like there is some problem with the update

krs

Reaction score
Did you double check you have the admin username correct (in addition to the password of course).
When I type fast I sometimes miss a letter in my admin name - when typing in the password I tend to be more careful so I rarely make a mistake with that, but not so with the user name.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I recently formatted the MacBook

What does that mean exactly? I understand the words, but not what you actually did. Are you referring to a "Clean Install" when you upgraded to macOS 11 Big Sur (BS)?

A Clean Install would imply erasing the Mac's Hard Drive, reformatting it, installing BS and then manually migrating all your data, settings etc from Time Machine or a cloned backup. Is that what you did?

If that is not what you did, then did you simply download BS and install it over the previous Operating System (OS)? Many of us do it that way.

If that is how you upgraded to BS - then when and how did you "format the MacBook"?

As Jake said: your Admin Account has an Admin PW and that is used for all functions carried out on your Mac - including any changes, or opening options, within System Preferences.

Truly sorry for all these questions, but as we were not sitting beside you watching what you did, we find it hard to help you which is what we want to do.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you updated from Mojave or earlier, then the drive would be formatted APFS (Apple File System) the new format, and as Ian says, everything would have been wiped.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am the only admin, use the same password to login the laptop but not able to use it for changes.
I recently formatted the MacBook. Seems like there is some problem with the update

I suspect you wiped out your Keychain data which is why you're now having difficulty with passwords. Whenever you format the drive (which is what you did) all data is erased. Unless you used a backup to restore data, all the Keychain info is gone which means new passwords for everything.

In that case, the log in password would remain but your Admin password is gone. You need to assign a new one.

OP
R
Reaction score
What does that mean exactly? I understand the words, but not what you actually did. Are you referring to a "Clean Install" when you upgraded to macOS 11 Big Sur (BS)?

A Clean Install would imply erasing the Mac's Hard Drive, reformatting it, installing BS and then manually migrating all your data, settings etc from Time Machine or a cloned backup. Is that what you did?

If that is not what you did, then did you simply download BS and install it over the previous Operating System (OS)? Many of us do it that way.

If that is how you upgraded to BS - then when and how did you "format the MacBook"?

As Jake said: your Admin Account has an Admin PW and that is used for all functions carried out on your Mac - including any changes, or opening options, within System Preferences.

Truly sorry for all these questions, but as we were not sitting beside you watching what you did, we find it hard to help you which is what we want to do.

Ian
I am using new Mac book pro with Catalina installed last before I erased the HD and install the software again and then updated to BS.
I am facing many issues like not able to add finger touch as after I click on + it ask for password and nothing appears as that is accepting my password. but on admin page, its not accepting the same password.
There was on option of using three fingers to move the folders or dragging stuff here and there, its not there any more.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Ranveerdua

Thank you for your courteous reply. I think Admin chscag's response in post #7, sums up your predicament and details the only way forward. The erasure & reformat of the Mac's HD removed all trace of the passwords contained in Keychain.

You have made no mention of a Backup (BU) - Time Machine? A cloned BU such as Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper! (SD!)?? In their absence, if so be the case, you are left with starting over by creating new PWs and that is a lengthy and cumbersome task. I'm sorry.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.