Password managers

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a password manager that works with Mac os x and my android phone. I have heard last pass works on both. Anybody have it or any other suggestions?

Thanks
ironman

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1Password works on both platforms as well and is well supported. It's not free but you do get a solid product.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you very much for both of your responses
This makes it a little easier

Ironman

OP
I
Reaction score
One last things since I am new to this

Does the password manager change all my passwords automatically or do I have to input what thy currently are and then they change them. A little confusing to me as I have never done this. My understanding is that I create some sort of master password to access my account and they do all the rest. Correct?

Thanks
ironman

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think I am correct in saying that all of the suggested apps have this in common:

There is a master password (call it what you will) that you, and only you know. Lose it or forget it and no one anywhere can help you because it is not logged on the Internet.

So it comes done to personal choice, expense (free or pay for) and trust. Trust, in large part, being the safety record of each app. And that correlates with the length of time that app has been around, how responsive it is to feedback from users and how quickly it adjusts to new OS and iOS.

I have my personal favourite, but make no direct recommendation. Instead I invite you to research these values for yourself and form your own conclusions.

Ian

OP
I
Reaction score
I was convince to use lastpass but am having a problem downloading it

I am using Mac os x Snow Leopard 10.6.8
I am alsu ising Safari 5.1.10

EVERY time I try to download lastpass it keeps showing my download is beginning but nothing happens and it says only compatable with 10.7 not 10.6.8

Where can I find the right version that I can use. I am looking all over and cannot find it

Thanks

Ironman1

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@ironman1

I am now deviating from my entirely neutral position by pointing out that 1Password is available for Snow Leopard according to their website from which you can download same. If interested, here is the link:

https://agilebits.com/downloads

Hope this helps. Needless to say, I have no financial or other relationship with this or any other company. But I can say that this is the app I use.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)/27iMac .4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor / iPhone5S, iPad 1
1Password has been a problem of late. You can't do this with the Apple store version but you can with the Agile software version. They both have the same name and version number. What a bunch of BS

Is it nessesary to encrypt in a third party software. Does Mac offer something that is secure.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.