Partitioning a new External HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
After receiving excellent help here a few weeks back, I have decided to upgrade both my late 2011 MacBook Air (from Mavericks) and my late 2009 iMac (from beloved Mountain Lion) to Yosemite. I plan on doing a clean install for both machines and I have all that info on hand in order to perform this task.

I have backed up both machines....using Time Machine AND Carbon Copy Cloner on the MBA, and but only TM for the iMac since I have yet to download CCC onto that machine. I contacted the company and they told me with my previously purchased version of CCC I am more than welcome to put it on my other machine...so that's all legal. ;)

My question for you is coming very shortly :)

I purchased a 2GB WD external drive today and am planing on using it for two things.....data storage on half of it (innumerable pictures, scads of GoPro videos and some music, etc) and on the other partition I plan on using it to make CCC copies of my iMac Drive, a 1 TB drive only about 1/10 full).

I used Disk Utility to "erase" the new drive and create two equal partitions, one I named General Media and the other I named iMac_CCC. Although DU shows each "drive" capacity at 1GB, it also shows 664 MB used on each partition...but I cannot 'see' any of these files when I open each partition with Finder or Disk Utility.

I would like to have that amount of space useable....just what are these files and how do I get rid of them? I imagine they are the files and programs that Western Digital places there to use for backups, etc but since I only plan on using one partition with CCC and the other for simple data storage...can I erase these files to gain more space or am I worrying much about nothing?

To me, 664 MB is a huge amount of space, considering my first 286 computer back in the day had a 40 MB hard drive they told me I'd never, ever fill up! :)

One more question begs to be asked....since I only have about 110 GB used on the iMac out of 1TB, should I make my iMac_CCC partition smaller, giving me even more room for media storage? I intend to CCC that particular drive maybe only a 3-4 times a year with more frequent backups using Time Machine. Recent videos I edit and podcasts I create will be copied off the main drive after completion of the project.

You should also know I have at least 4 other, smaller external drives with my music, pictures, videos and audio files on them, knowing having more than one "backup" drive is essential due to the fact you never know when one is going to take a dump on you. I should also let you know the iMac also has a 1TB non-portable backup drive for Time Machine only....and I usually backup once or twice a month, maybe a little more often if I am using the machine heavily. But sometimes it's a week or more between using the Big Mac. :D

TIA for any guidance you can give me here.

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good Morning Pat.

Don't know what is going on but I replied yesterday. The 664MB will be the formatting of the drives. For example my 2012 iMac whilst having a 1GB hard drive, shows 998.97GB available, and the 1.03GB missing would be (a) formatting and (b) Recovery partition.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Harry:

Thanks for the help, my friend. I appreciate it. I think I'll just keep both partitions the same size for now... I did learn yesterday it is very easy to change the size of each partition to to just add them iff needed down the road.

Cheers!

Pat

It is unbelievable how inexpensive portable hard drives are getting, and how much their capacities are growing. Just a few years back a drive this size was 10 time larger, 10 times heavier and about 6 times more expensive. Amazing stuff..... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.