Partition resize

Reaction score
Will try to put in more info on this discussion. After 2 days (couldn't get a cursor), I finally partitioned my iMac (27") Yosemite and did as it suggested, which was give 20 gb to the partition. I used bootcamp. So, after getting Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit into the partition, I found out all the space is gone! I tried to put in an antivirus and had no room. I have not installed anything in the partition other than Windows. I went back into my Mac and looked at the disk utility but it is greyed out and won't let me resize. Tried looking for info online, but there was only an extremely complex solution (seemed to be to do with the registry??) and I am not computer literate enough for that. If I have to start all over again, will Microsoft allow me to put back the Windows I bought? Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The only other alternative I know of is to do the following:

1. Use the Bootcamp utility to delete the current Windows partition. This will delete Windows so backup any data you have there.
2. use the Boot Camp utility to recreate the Windows partition (larger this time of course)
3. Reinstall Windows

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased Camptune. It has been scanning my computer looking for a boot camp partition for over one hour. I have no idea if it is even working I stopped it once before after 1/2 hour as I thought it was stalled but this time it is still going even now. Have written to them and gone to their knowledge support site and can't find an answer. I made a backup disk image of the Windows partition, Can I just reinstall that after redoing my partitioning with Bootcamp?

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Requested my money back and they have evidently put that through for me. However I have one more question. After windows is all up and running can I take the thumb drive out that was the bootable disk or does it have to stay installed in my USB drive? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No after install remove it. By the way did you have to download drivers from Apple? Usually essential for Bluetooth keyboard, mouse etc.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. I took out the thumb drive and everything works well. Yes, did have to download drivers but Bootcamp took care of that. That's what was on the thumb drive. The mouse and keyboard work without it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.