Parental Control software for iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My daughter is asking for advice on what is a good parental control app for an iPhone. I think she is looking for my young teen grandson. She's read the reviews but is looking for folks with direct experience. And yes, she has looked at the Apple default stuff in iOS, but wants more and maybe something to make sure he can't crack the codes. He's very, very smart, so it needs to be CIA-level secure! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
He's very, very smart, so it needs to be CIA-level secure!

LOL, c'mon Jake, I hear the CIA is hiring teen agers as hackers because they're so smart. :p

Seriously, the only app I could find is Net Nanny:

I'm not sure that is effective though. I would suggest your daughter test it first before employing it on your grandson's iPhone.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The kid is scary-smart, Charlie! He's home-schooled by his Dad, who has a PhD and is a college professor, so he's being stretched. He memorized the entire first chapter the book of John in the Bible in both English and Latin when he was nine. (Yes, he reads and writes in Latin fluently, and has for about 4 years now.) He's also a crack shot, both with rifle and pistol, a competitive swimmer and is now taking piano lessons. Add in that he's about six feet tall already. And he's 14.

So whatever they get has to be pretty bullet proof. Literally. ;)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Good God man, he sounds like a candidate for MI6. Don't send him to Military School. I seriously doubt any form of parental control will hold him back for long, he'll just see it as a challenge and worse than that he may resent it.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod, his Great Grandfather and great-great Grandfather were both career army. His great uncle was CIA. I was career Navy. His uncle was career Army Ranger and then an Army Doctor. His dad was in the Air Force. His mom works for the Marshal Service. It's going to be hard to keep him out of whatever he wants to get into. And he has a younger sister that does everything he does, plus ballet. She's not as good a pistol shot, but at the rifle range she is pretty much unbeatable. They are just ever so slightly overachievers and very competitive. So when I say the parental control needs to be bulletproof, I'm not kidding around. Between the two of them, they crack everything. But he won't resent the fact they put the control on, he understands it is for his protection and he respects his parents. But that won't stop him trying to break through, just for the challenge of it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Seems like his course is set then.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, I did share that with the parents. They want something more than that. I don't know exactly what they are looking for, but will talk to them about it this weekend when they plan to visit us for Easter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.