• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Paranoia of an ex-windows user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 CD Macbook, 1GB; 2.16 C2D iMac 20", 2GB
So here's the deal, my Credit Card has been used recently to make some unauthorized purchases recently, (Blizzard/WOW Cdkeys all on the same day) this is what appeared on my statement three times "WORLD OF WARCRAFT CDKEY WORLD OF WARCRAFT VELIZY FR"

The only thing i use this particular card for is online purchases & (online) bill paying.

The most recent purchase I made was through Amazon, from a reseller called Mindfactory.

So I did my research.... and it looks a few people had fraudulent charges on their credit card with the same or almost the same WOW/Blizzard description. Apparently a Google VELIZY & FRANCE search will bring up a World of Warcraft site in france. Most of them have never heard of World of Warcraft. Some had Ebay accounts opened in their name as well.

They never mentioned Mindfactory in any of their posts, BUT Google said there was some spam in their name, which contained an attachment, that would install a trojan or something.

Ok, now if you're still reading this very post. My question is, is my Mac safe? I read about Mac trojans and malware, spyware all last night and I'm really paranoid now... My card has been cancelled, but I'm tempted to just wipe everything.

I don't now very much about CC fraud, or how they get their information, - I just want to know what would you do?

Is there anything you need to know, so you can tell me if I in fact have some sort of spyware (not necessarly through mindfactory) (btw, i didnt get that specific spam from them, I did get a couple of emails, because i ordered something from amazon through them, which I of course opened, no attachments)

I use Safari, Camino and Firefox. I dont know if that matters, but i just thought I'll throw that in there too.

Thanks,

Nova

PS: You could just say "Bummer" that would help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well Mac is safe but it is by no means perfect, so you should take normal precautions such as Not Opening Attachments from people you don't know or trust.

However except for a recent Java expolit, all Programs I know that could cause damage to your computer you have to "approve" by ignoring the warning about applications via Safari that could damage your computer.

Then you'd have to mount it, assuming it was .dmg.

I'm not a Security Expert though (as I'm sure you figured) but a lot of it has to do with common sense and surely you never gave your CC Number to a Amazon Seller directly?

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying,

so you think reinstalling the os and all would be overreacting?

I don't use this card for anything other then you know, normal bill paying. And if I make purchases it would be from Apple, Amazon, etc, - Major companies... Never gave out CC info to the reseller.

EDIT: Would it help if i posted the CPU processes from the terminal, - (that "top" thingy)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Internet fraud is largely irrelevant to the machine you're using, it's still possible to get your details - as someone did with my PayPal account - no matter how secure your machine is.

I read about Mac trojans and malware, spyware all last night and I'm really paranoid now...

There aren't any Mac tojans, malware or spyware, AFAIK, so wherever you read that, it's wrong. Windows has those, not OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I don't think it has anything to do with your machine, somebody got our VISA card # and we don't even use that card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
so you think reinstalling the os and all would be overreacting?

Yea just a bit :D

But like the posts above point out your Computer may not be the problem at all. Criminals will often look out or steal paperwork such as Bills in order to gain money from your back account, which could be a possible cause.

Just treat your Card, like you would if you had it in Cash and the same goes for your Credit Card Bills or Statements.

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There aren't any Mac tojans, malware or spyware, AFAIK, so wherever you read that, it's wrong. Windows has those, not OSX.

I love my iMac, it was the best purchase i've ever made, but there's the Underhand trojan for example. The OS is certainly a lot safer, but not invincible...;D

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you see what Windows did to me arrrgh... trust-issues...

Thanks everyone, - for your input!

I'll get over it, you've calmed me down a bit.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
in your case it soudns like someone grabbed your information in the interspace of the internet. which may happen somehow or another...this is not a problem with your computer but the connection your information was traveling over.

regarding macs and trojans/malware/spyware...there is none at the current moment, some people might call Leap-A a virus but it is just a proof of concept bug and doesnt actually do anything...also you basically need to install it yourself after giving your user password and such
-chris

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in your case it soudns like someone grabbed your information in the interspace of the internet. which may happen somehow or another...this is not a problem with your computer but the connection your information was traveling over.
-chris

Excuse my ignorance/confusion, - are you saying a website is not secure or i need a better firewall? Does the wireless connection have anything to do with it (its wpa encripted) I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense, or doesnt have anything to do with it I'm just guessing here...

So how can I protect myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excuse my ignorance/confusion, - are you saying a website is not secure or i need a better firewall? Does the wireless connection have anything to do with it (its wpa encripted) I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense, or doesnt have anything to do with it I'm just guessing here...

So how can I protect myself?

Your firewall is irrelevant if they got you information from somewhere else. This is what happened with my PayPal account - always used over a secure connection, with an unguessable password, and I still logged in to find someone in Iran distributing my money to random websites.

All you can do is be as secure as possible, but ultimately any transaction is only as secure as it's weakest point - usually a corrupt person. Just get a bank account where they protect you from fraud.

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just get a bank account where they protect you from fraud.

That is really scary. I always see those commercials on tv about credit card fraud etc. and of course I thought stuff like that happens to everyone but me.

Do you use checks or credit cards very often in the UK?

Again thanks for helping!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it can happen to anybody!!! i try to be selective about where and who i send money too but i usually err on the side of caution.

my accountant wanted me to email my checking accounts routing number and account number to him the other day. i said no ill bring it to you in two week...emailing something like that just isnt ssafe IMHO
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is really scary. I always see those commercials on tv about credit card fraud etc. and of course I thought stuff like that happens to everyone but me.

Do you use checks or credit cards very often in the UK?

Again thanks for helping!

I use my debit card exclusively, I don't do credit cards, generally, but that's for debt reasons, not security reasons.

I have a fraud-protected online account, and the one time it was compromised (you can buy credit card details from places in India for around £7/$15 per card), the bank knew about it before I did, and sorted it within three days. It's actually in their interest to do so, as they then class it as "bad debt" and claim tax relief from the UK government.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.