Parallels to access BootCamp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
I just installed Vista Ultimate on my MacBook using BootCamp. Question, is it possible to use Desktop Parallels to access the same Vista installed on Boot Camp? In other words by macbook still has 1 Vista installed, but I can choose either to use BootCamp or Parallels to access it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes.

If you did some searching, you would have found that this question has been asked 2-3 time in the past month alone

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops sorry about that didnt notice.

I just tried it but the "Boot Camp" option is disabled when I choose Vista. So does this mean that Parallels will only access boot camp if its XP installed? Doesnt it support Vista as well (through Boot Camp) ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The first screen that comes up asks for quick Windows install, some thing else, and then custom. When you first go through the installation, I think it's before you even get to OS choices, you should choose "custom" and then the option for Bootcamp will come up.

Does that help?

Reaction score
I do that myself, and the "Bootcamp" option is greyed out and cannot be chosen... not sure why... can anyone help with that...

And by the way, I did a search, and could not find an answer for this one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Sorry, I didn't come across that problem, so I could say. I can tell you that disk format isn't a problem because I didn't format my partition right to move Mac files to my PC via dropping them into the partition drive directly, but swapping files via Parallels has been fine. I know this is the lamest advice, but have to tried a fresh install?

I hope you can find the answer or get those guys at PArallels to help you out.

Reaction score
I have tried a few times with a fresh install. Vista installs fine, I can boot to it and do everything I want, I just cannot set up Parallels to run from the Bootcamp install...

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I know the answer to that. Parallels can access BootCamp only if its XP installed i.e It doesnt support Vista yet. The reason is when you chose Vista as your OS, the "BootCamp" option is disabled. Another thing is, if you go to parallels official website, it says that parallels can be used to access Windows XP which is installed on BootCamp. Notice they said "Windows XP" and not "Windows Vista" so I guess that answers the question.

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to that. Parallels can access BootCamp only if its XP installed i.e It doesnt support Vista yet. The reason is when you chose Vista as your OS, the "BootCamp" option is disabled. Another thing is, if you go to parallels official website, it says that parallels can be used to access Windows XP which is installed on BootCamp. Notice they said "Windows XP" and not "Windows Vista" so I guess that answers the question.

Bummer... I thought I had read that the latest beta of Parallels would support Vista the same as XP. Looks like I will just have to continue to wait... :eek:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it can support Vista ONLY if you make a clean installation of it through parallels itself however it cant be used to access a Vista thats already installed on BootCamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.