Panther on Beige - Here we go...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
After running Jaguar very successfully on my new (old) G3 AIO, I've finally decided to take the big step and try to install Panther using XPostFacto. I'm about to begin the installation now, and hopefully in a few hours, I'll be posting from the machine running 10.3.5. Here goes nothin'... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
Good luck Padawan. I hope it works. :)

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Well, after a few minor snags, everything is up and running smoothly, and I'm currently posting this from the G3 AIO under 10.3.5. :) The first thing I've noticed is how much "snappier" it is than when it was running Jaguar. It almost feels like a whole new machine. Overall, I'd highly recommend that any one with a G3 Beige who is considering upgrading to OS X look into installing Panther. Don't let the need to use XPostFacto scare you (like it scared me initially). The process is only a bit more complicated than a standard installation, and the results are well worth it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What kind of snags did you run into? I am thinking of upgrading mine.

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
What kind of snags did you run into? I am thinking of upgrading mine.

Well, initially, I tried to install Panter onto the same partition that Jaguar was on, using the "Erase and install" feature. Unfortunately, doing this also erases the various drivers and settings that XPostFacto had just installed prior to launching the Panther installer. The result for me was that the Panther installer reached the first restart (before prompting for Disk 2) and simply hung. I was able to boot into OS 9 to restart XPostFacto and reinstall all of the extra drivers and settings, but when I tried to continue, Panther wanted to basically begin the installation process all over again. My solution was to completely erase and format the partition where I was installing Panther, and then to begin the installation process again using XPostFacto from OS 9. After doing this, everything went very smoothly.

I just realized that my post might not be too clear if someone didn't know how XPostFacto works. Basically, you download XPF onto your drive (you obviously don't want to put it on a partition that you'll be erasing and formating - I put mine on my OS 9 partition). Then, you insert the Panther CD and launch XPF. From XPF, you select the partition where you want to install Panther (you can also change various options which I didn't touch) and then click "Install". XPF copies all of the necessary drivers and settings to your machine and then restarts the computer. You'll then see the normal Panther installer, and everything after this should proceed just like any other Panther installation.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Cool, I try installing on my third partition.

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
Cool, I try installing on my third partition.

Great. Let me know how it turns out. Also, what are the specs of your Beige?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.