• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

Panic: We are hanging here?

X

xthisisRomancex

if you have the orginal OSX CD's try booting to it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in MacBook Air 1.1Ghz Quad-Core 16GB
That is known as a kernel panic. Your system had a hard crash.

Have you tried rebooting again, if so, do you get the same screen?

You can try to boot up in single user mode. Reboot your system and then press a hold down the s key. It should boot to a coomand link prompt.

If you are not able to do this you may have a corrupted operating system.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in MacBook Air 1.1Ghz Quad-Core 16GB
Like was suggested, if you have the operating system media. You might was to do a fresh install.

N

neosen

i dont have the media but i will try to get it... rebooting brings to the same screen.

Yes I can get into single user mode

S

supremeoverlord

Hey, I have actually seen this before, it happened to me on my emac! Whenever I tried to boot off the CD it did this, that was because my dvd drive crapped the bed... so maybe your hardrive did the same... can you still boot off of the cd?

K

Kokopelli

You might try reseating any modular components such as the airport card. I was getting regular crashes (though not a kernel panic) when my airport card had come slightly dislodged. Pulling it out and reseating it fixed the problem. This is not likely to make a difference here but it is worth a try. Since it works in Single User mode you know it is at least not likely to be a catastrophic hardware failure, though it could be bad RAM.

If that does not help I think reinstalling the OS is your best bet. A hard crash like that is not good. I find it interesting that the iBook is saying no driver found for PowerBook 4.3, but that may be normal. Or at least as normal as a kernel panic can ever be.

S

speedstream15

I am expierancing a similar problem. My roommate recently acquired a used iBook G4 and dumped the harddrive in the recycle bin and restarted the computer. When he restarted it...it was in Kernal Panic and states that it's hanging in there...or at least trying to. He threw it to me to try and fix...but I am a virgin to this MAC world.
It was recommended that he to me that we network w/ another iBook and and try and run the Repair function to salvage the harddrive. Or possibly an external program that may work in-sync w/ the harddrive to repair it.
My concern...it isnt booting from the restore or operating disk as is.
Anyone w/ any insight...Please help me out. I'd greatly appriciate it...

K

Kokopelli

If he truly dragged the HD into trash then it is game over. Reinstall from scratch using a boot disk. If the Data is important (and it always is) you can try an upgrade. I would suggest getting an external firewire drive and installing OS X on that, then boot off it and recover whatever files that he needs that are left.

Hold down c as it boots to try and boot off the optical drive. Or I think you can hold alt to be presented with boot options.

S

speedstream15

thanks...seriously...

Thanks for the reply. The information on the hard drive currently...if it's even still there...is obsolete. I'd like to just do a fresh reinstall and start clean. He aquired it used anyway...which is why he was trying to dump everything in the first place.
So when I throw the boot disk in I should hit C that way it boots from the disk and try that? Is there any other possible ways in case this doesnt work? I'm trying to educate myself at the same time as to how this operating system works...so any thing u can throw at me I'd appriciate.