Pairing Bluetooth 2.1 with Bluetooth 2.0

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'll try to be as brief as possible. Basically,

1. Creative D200 Bluetooth speaker (Bluetooth protovcol 2.1)
2. MacBook3,1 (A1181) Bluetooth protocol 2.0

MacBook cannot discover Creative speaker. Why?

Any advice / suggestions as to what I should do coz it should work.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the problem you are having is that Bluetooth speaker is using a newer protocol (2.1) than your Mac is using (2.0). I could be wrong but I don't think that's going to work. If the Mac had the 2.1 protocol and the speaker had the 2.0 protocol it would work. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a more definitive answer.

I wonder if a Bluetooth dongle that supports the newer protocol (bad link removed) would work? Of course it would be best to get one that doesn't need a software driver. In my experience dongles requiring software drivers often when the OS is updated.

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
But I have a newer Mac running an older version of Bluetooth and it pairs with a Bluetooth 5.0 device fine. I'm streaming music right now as I reply to you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Bluetooth is largely backward compatible, so it should connect. Do other BT devices connect to the Macbook in question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is the speaker already paired to another device it might be pairing with before the MacBook can find it? If you can unpair it from any other device it has ever been paired too, it should connect.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good idea Bob. I should have thought of that, There are many Bluetooth devices that will only pair with one device at a time. I have a couple of devices that behave that way and won't pair with a second device even if the first one is turned off. I have to tell the first device to "forget" the first device.

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
I'll try to look into the "forget device" part & update this post accordingly after.

Thank you all for your inputs & suggestions

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I tried to forget device in the Creative speaker and retry pairing to the MacBook3,1. Still not happening. I have since changed the arrangements in my room so the speaker goes elsewhere. In its place is a WiFi speaker instead, but I have a Bluetooth 5 USB dongle on the way in the post as we type. Perhaps that would work if I need return to the initial arrangement. Thank you very much Everybody for your inputs.

I have another question on Bluetooth but I guess I should start a new thread instead.

Is there some action I need to perform to 'close' this thread, Guys?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Is there some action I need to perform to 'close' this thread, Guys?

No. That's up to the Admins and Moderators. Most often the thread is kept open for others to review if they have a similar problem, or to add to it if a new idea occurs to someone.

Ian

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I have something to share. Please take a look at the image here:

9b2d9defb3c13d1ff11e0da78097efe6.jpg

Focus on the device named PEDRO on the left column. That image is the Bluetooth Setup screen on my old MacBook. It detected and connected with my Bluetooth 2.1 speaker finally!

The thing I’d forgotten was the fact that it was only protocol 2.1 onwards that they simplified the pairing process. Prior to that, one has to go through the lengthy pairing process which is what my MacBook needs.

I am beyond exhilarated to see that they paired!

I just wanted to update it here.

Once again, thank you to all of you for your help & inputs.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update. That never occurred to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.