Padlock problem, privacy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 13" 16gb ram 512gb hdd Big Sur
Admins account on new MacBook Pro, can’t unlock padlock, passwords are correct as can login to Mac, brand new setup today, unlocked once to add new account also with admin rites, but cannot now unlock to make any changes in system preferences.
Any advice welcome

latest iOS and all updated

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

May I just ask one question for clarification. Did you transfer data from a previous Mac to this new one, say, from Time Machine? And if you did, what method did you use - eg Migration Assistant (MA) or follow the Restore method?

I'm assuming "new" MacBook = brand new?? And therefore running macOS 11 Big Sur (BS)?? That's important too.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

May I just ask one question for clarification. Did you transfer data from a previous Mac to this new one, say, from Time Machine? And if you did, what method did you use - eg Migration Assistant (MA) or follow the Restore method?

I'm assuming "new" MacBook = brand new?? And therefore running macOS 11 Big Sur (BS)?? That's important too.

Ian

No data transfered, brand new out of box, yes macOS is Big Sur

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you for prompt reply. That's tremendously helpful.

Have I got the process correct -

New out of box.
Used Setup assistant to establish your identity - Apple ID, Name, Admin account etc
Set up Login Password (PW)
In effect, finished the Setup
All going well
Then set up a new Admin user account - just briefly take me through how you did that, please.
Then what? I'm trying to grasp whether you you are still in the original User Account you first set up, or logged in to the Second User account you subsequently made.

I'm really sorry for these tedious questions, but I wasn't sitting next to you as you did all that :)

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Setup, account as usual, with admin perms, then went to system preferences to add another account, unlocked padlock and created account and again gave admin rights, locked padlock and restarted mac, logged in as new user and all looked ok, so went and installed office 365 and downloaded it to mac, it asked for perms and that went ok, then restarted mac and logged back in, then went to unlock privacy and security, this is when I found out that i could no longer unlock padlock, i restarted with the main account i did setup with, and could not unlock same with that account.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We are assuming the new MacBook Pro you refer to in your first post is a new M1 model?

Frankly, we don't understand why a password you setup for the user accounts you created are not working? Something else is going on and we have no idea what it is since we are not sitting in front of your MacBook Pro to see what you see.

In any event, since this is a new machine it's still under warranty and you have a period of free phone support from Apple, we suggest calling them and they can access your machine remotely and help you to clear up what went wrong.

And by the way, the operating system is macOS not iOS. (iOS is for iPhones, and iPads)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it’s not an M1, and yes I will be contacting apple support Monday morning.
Btw passwords work to access boot up, but not to access system preferences.

thanks for your reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You don't need to wait to Monday. Apple support is available 24/7/365. Go to Apple.com, click on "Support" on the top bar scroll down to where you can set up a phone call.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't need to wait to Monday. Apple support is available 24/7/365. Go to Apple.com, click on "Support" on the top bar scroll down to where you can set up a phone call.
Many thanks for reply, but as I I’m setting it up for a customer, it will have to be Monday.

The reason I posted here is, I have never come across this problem before, I have been working with computers, of all kinds for over 25 years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.