Over heating MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
My MacBook has recently started to get very hot which in turn starts the fans which are quite noisy. The CPU was noted running at 80 degrees. This also coincided with the Mac not being able to open web pages or sites and the Mac needed to be restarted. It then worked ok for a while until it started getting hot again and failing to open sites. Help please?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your Macbook is operating as designed. When the CPU is under load, it gets hot, when it gets hot, the fans come on to cool things down.

So you ned to figure out what is causing the load on the CPU. If it's temporary, then that's OK, but it shouldn't be happening all the time.

For example, my MBP right now is around 48 degC and the fans are running around 1800 RPM. Once in a while I'll do something or a system event happens to update something, then the CPU will spike up to 85 - 90 degC which cause the fans to jump up to 4k to deal with it. Once the task is done, the temps drop and the fans slow down.

Reaction score
My MacBook has recently started to get very hot which in turn starts the fans which are quite noisy. The CPU was noted running at 80 degrees. This also coincided with the Mac not being able to open web pages or sites and the Mac needed to be restarted. It then worked ok for a while until it started getting hot again and failing to open sites. Help please?
As stated could just be normal behavior, more details are needed.

What MacBook is it? And what/how many websites are you loading at once?

Bring up the activity monitor and try to identify if something else is consuming a considerable amount of resources.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would open it up...and give it a good cleaning with some canned air (gently give everything a blow with the canned air).

Nick

Reaction score
My MacBook has recently started to get very hot which in turn starts the fans which are quite noisy. The CPU was noted running at 80 degrees.

Generally when I've seen this it is during the summer, often the user lives in a hot and humid climate, and when I opened up their laptop it was full of dust bunnies. The dust bunnies keep cooling air from flowing through the laptop, and worse, they act as an insulator. They can also become entwined in your laptop's fans and strangle them.

I strongly recommend that you take your MB to an Apple Store, if one is available, to be looked at, and if one isn't available, that you call AppleCare and ask for their advice. Apple is very sensitive about MB's batteries overheating and potentially catching on fire or exploding.

Apple even has an extended repair program for certain MBP's batteries:

https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

and I've heard from users whose MB's weren't under any sort of warranty anymore, but Apple replaced their battery for free, or reduced cost, anyhow because it was a safety hazzard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.