Outlook

Reaction score
My outlook icon has changed to to a grey no entry and when I try to open it, it says

You can’t open the application “Microsoft Outlook.app” because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get it back please? I have Macbook Air M1

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you have auto update of MS Office apps enabled, it might have messed up during one of the updates. You will need to re-install Office to get a working version again.

If you are a O365 subscriber, log into office.com and grab the installer and run it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is an app called Microsoft Autoupdate that you can launch from any of the Office apps by going to Help->Check for Updates. Since outlook isn't working for you, try Word, Excel or whatever. Once the app launches, there is a checkbox that says "Keep apps updated" or something to that effect.

You can also click on the down arrow on the first row to see the last time any of the apps were updated.

Perhaps doing an update through that will fix things up.

OP
C
Reaction score
If you have auto update of MS Office apps enabled, it might have messed up during one of the updates. You will need to re-install Office to get a working version again.

If you are a O365 subscriber, log into office.com and grab the installer and run it.
I did have it enabled, I have disabled it now so will reinstall, thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have it enabled as well and haven't had any issues with it, but it is absolutely shocking how often those apps update.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Colinstuart28

As you were possibly unaware whether you had Auto Updates checked or not, it is possible that this little tip may not be known to you :)

It is AutoSave. Very useful because, as you go about your work, it automatically creates a backup. To set this up and determine the frequency of these backups etc, open, say, Word. Go to Word > Preferences by clicking on the Word name in the top line next to the Apple Icon . Choose Preferences.

Once in Preferences, Click on SAVE and you will see this:

S1.jpg

This applies to the other components ofOffice 365 as well. I think you might have to do them separately, can't remember.

Of course all this may be familiar to you already.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Th
@Colinstuart28

As you were possibly unaware whether you had Auto Updates checked or not, it is possible that this little tip may not be known to you :)

It is AutoSave. Very useful because, as you go about your work, it automatically creates a backup. To set this up and determine the frequency of these backups etc, open, say, Word. Go to Word > Preferences by clicking on the Word name in the top line next to the Apple Icon . Choose Preferences.

Once in Preferences, Click on SAVE and you will see this:

View attachment 34716

This applies to the other components ofOffice 365 as well. I think you might have to do them separately, can't remember.

Of course all this may be familiar to you already.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I will take a look for this

OP
C
Reaction score
I have downloaded the latest updates, uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook but still have the same issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Has it ever worked on your M1 Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.