Outlook for Mac 2019 - Where do I find its backup files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
In older versions, it was found in Users/(user name)/app-data/microsoft/outlook/... but it hasn't been there for a while. Can somebody help?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This article doesn't give the exact location but I think it accomplishes what you want.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
Unfortunately, it isn't what I'm looking for. I'm reasonably sure that this is true of all versions of Outlook: It's a zip file that Outlook uses as its own private backup system, and it captures almost all of its components. I say "almost", because I know it doesn't include the Rules data, which I believe uses .rwz as its filename extension. Because Outlook keeps this backup on the primary drive, it's not good enough for me, and I want to include it it my CrashPlan backup, which I've set up to go to an external drive and to a Cloud. What I'm trying to find out is if that zip file includes the Personal Folders. If it doesn't, after any session that includes a change to the Personal Folders, I would want to copy them to a location that CrashPlan will accept. It would be nice if all I had to do was include the folder name of the Personal Folders, but Outlook treats its folder-looking parts different from the ordinary folders used throughout the system, and trying to work with them is simply one PITA. I'm hoping that I won't have any trouble passing the zip file to CrashPlan.

Oops!

I may have to eat my words. I just ran across a Help article that includes copying an Outlook folder to an Archive folder. I'll pursue this more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.