Outlook 2016 for Mac does not download incoming messages

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Am wondering if anyone in the Forum has had this issue with Outlook for Mac 2016 (being run on a Mac Pro, High Sierra OS) - our IP is Frontier, which uses a Yahoo server to negotiate email for its clients - full operation for incoming and outgoing mail has been verified at their webmail portal. I like to use Outlook as a desktop client to manage email at the desktop level (I am sure many others do also). Suddenly, Outlook stopped downloading incoming mail with no error message indicating a problem - I can still send emails, individually, contact list, with attachments with no issues. however, I cannot get Outlook to retrieve emails needing to be downloaded. I've checked and double-checked with Frontier about their correct settings for pop3 and smtp - theoretically, all is well. Yet outlook remains broken.
Any advice?
many thanks for reading,
dlcatftwin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Glad to see that you finally were able to log in. :)

As to your difficulty with Outlook, I suspect the problem may be with the Yahoo server. And getting good help from anyone at Frontier is like pulling teeth. They are also my ISP, however, I use gmail as my primary source of mail and not the Frontier supplied mail server.

You might be able to go directly to the server and retrieve your mail that way until the problem is solved. Have you tried that?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Glad to see that you finally were able to log in. :)
Ditto. Always good to have a new face kicking around even if they had a little trouble getting through the front door. :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you Chscag and Slydude.
Looking forward to exploring the Forums for ever-more Mac information. To answer your questions, Chicago, yes, the webmail front for the email works fine, and I can easily retrieve emails, and yes, I too have suspected Yahoo (which has never been any kind of favorite for me) servers as the culprit; I have had no luck discussing the matter with a Frontier person who truly understands the relationship between them and Yahoo.
I do have options and Gmail is one of them - do you know if anyone has had good fortune using Outlook as a desk client for fetching Gmail incomings?

Slydude, how do you get the quote to show up in a balloon?

Thank you again for the welcome and response,
DLC

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just noticed, Chscag, that spell-check just changed your name to Chicago - sorry!
:eek:
Find the post you want to quote and click the "Reply With Quote" button. The software will put the quote into the reply window. If you want to remove an unneeded part of the quote you can do that but don't remove the brackets and the word Quote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
Greetings all,
Am wondering if anyone in the Forum has had this issue with Outlook for Mac 2016 (being run on a Mac Pro, High Sierra OS) - our IP is Frontier, which uses a Yahoo server to negotiate email for its clients - full operation for incoming and outgoing mail has been verified at their webmail portal. I like to use Outlook as a desktop client to manage email at the desktop level (I am sure many others do also). Suddenly, Outlook stopped downloading incoming mail with no error message indicating a problem - I can still send emails, individually, contact list, with attachments with no issues. however, I cannot get Outlook to retrieve emails needing to be downloaded. I've checked and double-checked with Frontier about their correct settings for pop3 and smtp - theoretically, all is well. Yet outlook remains broken.
Any advice?
many thanks for reading,
dlcatftwin

hi dlcatftwin

I did notice today during updates to office 2016 that its no longer supported and it told me to upgrade to office 365
so instead I purchased office 2019 on a well known site,

and now my mail is working as it did before

don't get me wrong I don't have frontier here in the uk but I do have yahoo mail and many others and they are all working fine for me,

so maybe its the fact that office 2016 is going out of date slowly ?

(I could be wrong)

Jason

p.s welcome to the forum

OP
D
Reaction score
Office 2019?

Hello Jason,
Thank you for the heads-up on the version expiration. This is not a bad guess.
Perhaps I'll look and see if I can track down a 2019 version as you did.
Kind regards,
DLC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
Hello Jason,
Thank you for the heads-up on the version expiration. This is not a bad guess.
Perhaps I'll look and see if I can track down a 2019 version as you did.
Kind regards,
DLC

let us know if it helps solve the issue

I got mine from a popular sales site,

im not saying this will solve the issue but its worth a try if you can get a copy that isn't so expensive,

good luck I hope you sort this :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.