Outlook 2011, domains, and calendars...

Reaction score
Hello everyone, 1st time poster long time lurker.

I have this strange issue we just noticed with our MACs using Outlook.

Our setup is Exchange 2010 and Office 2011 Home and Business. Our MACs are either Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion.

We use calendar sharing on our domain. Everyone is set to reviewer so users can view each others calendars but cannot make changes to them.

When a MAC user adds a calendar to their view, they can now SEND EMAIL AS that user if they are selected in the FROM drop down when composing a new email. If you remove the calendar from their view, the drop down disappears (unless you have multiple calendars in the view).

I have been unable to figure this out, I do not think it is a local or Exchange permissions issue.

Any help or insight to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

~Chris

OP
A
Reaction score
problem solved. it was only one user. Outlook does not send the email without explicit send-as permissions, and the user in question was made a "domain admin" by an admin i fired about 8 months ago.

removed domain admin permission, user can no longer send as others.

Reaction score
Calendar issues

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue with a user. This user has reviewer permissions and has opened a number of shared calendars. After opening the calendars, the user is receiving reminders from the other calendars and has the option to choose the other accounts when sending an e-mail. The good thing is that the messages can't be sent by that user.

Without having to remove the calendar, is there a way to remove the "From" dropdown menu showing the other accounts?

OP
A
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is standard behavior, maybe M$ can change it in the future, but that is doubtful. But without the correct permission the user will not be able to send.

This program is so littered with bugs I have a dozen users with O2K11 and we rebuild one database a week... and lose some archives, totally going to move them to Parallels / Office 2010 after the new year.

Reaction score
That is unfortunate.

The user has multiple calendars shared and is constantly getting everyone's reminders. Is there a workaround for this or do I chalk it up to standard behavior as well.

I wish I could switch to Parallels, but we just completed a huge network migration and I don't think the users can stomach any more change.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I support Outlook 2011
Unfortunately this is standard behavior, maybe M$ can change it in the future, but that is doubtful. But without the correct permission the user will not be able to send.

This program is so littered with bugs I have a dozen users with O2K11 and we rebuild one database a week... and lose some archives, totally going to move them to Parallels / Office 2010 after the new year.

Hello Everyone,

You are right. Currently, if you have access to someones account (even just the tasks) you will see that 'From:' Field. Its currently 'by design'. Hopefully changing.

Remember not to use Delegates unless you want send-on-behalf-of permissions added. Delegates will always have send-on-behalf-of, so instead just use Folder Sharing Permission (Control+Click on the folder you want to share).

AccessIT,

Do you have antivirus on the mac? Is parallels already installed?

We found parallels leaking into Outlook 2011's thread count. Causes Outlook 2011 to crash.

Antivirus will scan the databases, which can cause corruption. For any AV software on the Mac, remove the Microsoft User Data folder from the Scan and you should see less rebuilds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.