OSX RAM always full

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been experiencing this problem for a while now, but now it is rendering my MBP (13-inch, end 2011) next to useless.

My RAM is permanently full. Chrome is the worst and takes up 1 to 1,5 Gb of my available 4Gb with instantly seeding 'Chrome helpers'. But even without chrome, I've got a truckload of processes of which I don't know why they're there. When not actively running any program, I only have about 500Mb of RAM left. When launching any piece of software, the memory is full in an instant.

I'm currently running Yosemite, but the problem existed before the update too...

You can download an overview of my current (huge) processlist here (it's a 9Mb pdf): WETRANSFER LINK

Is there anyone who's got an idea how to tackle this, or is formatting the only option?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Mate,
There is quite a lot going on on your machine, eating away all the available memory.
I am not in a position to judge if you need all those services or not.
First place to look is System Preferences/Users&Groups/Login items and see what services are being launched when you login ( without opening any apps )

This may sound a bit blunt but when I look at that list of services, my initial reaction is to do a fresh install and only install apps that you are really going to use.
Another option is to try and identify each service and see if you need it, and that will take forever with a huge risk of damaging your system anyway.

I have the impression that quite a few apps have been installed and then uninstalled but leaving behind some of the services.

Cheers ... McBie

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your fast reply

I think there's indeed a lot of process of previously installed software.
Is there a tool that scan for stuff like that?

Kinda hoping I won't have to format :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am not aware of any tools that can scan for 'leftovers' from uninstalled software.
You could start with the apps you know you have uninstalled and still have a process running in the background. It will be a daunting task if you ask me.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
McBie, I too have upgraded my MBP Retina 15" Mid 2012, with 8GB of memory to Yosemite and have been most fortunate as all seems well. My question is, after looking at "login items", I only have 3, My Canon printer/scanner, iTunes helper and Garmin Express. Garmin is the only one which is not checked. Is there any certain items that should be in most everyone's OSX system on start up or does it vary from one user to another.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Reaction score
There is some accidental misinformation floating around.
Checking the box will not stop the app from running.
Checking the box only hides the app when it does start.
To stop apps from starting up you need to select the app, then click on the minus sign at the bottom of the window.
This will remove the app from starting up.

Monosnap 2014-10-26 12-51-53.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reactions so far.

So it seems there's no real solution to my problem apart from formatting my entire machine and reinstalling whatever i still need. :(

*edit: the startup list doesn't display half of what is actually launched on startup....

Reaction score
Don't know where you got wiping the drive from quitting a few apps.
You need to uninstall whatever you don't need/use. Whatever is running you need to check preferences and see if you can turn off load at startup.
There are other ways to stop apps from starting up if you are careful.
There is no need to erase the drive to fix a minor problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't have that much unnecessary apps running. There are however a ton of processes of which I don't have a clue what they're for.

Especially the huge amount of processes taking up between 5 and 15Mb seem to be a problem? I don't see how I can solve that problem by starting check all processes manually?

*The problem might be minor, but the result is major. When idle, my machine has 10% of RAM free. So when I'm not really doing anything (no browser open, no adobe stuff, no office apps), the memory is almost completely filled. Of course, when I do open something, the memory is full immediately (especially chrome with the chrome helpers) and I can 't do anything anymore.

Reaction score
Is your RAM "just" used, or do you notice a performance issue? Starting with Mavericks, OS X has begun to use RAM much more aggressively than prior versions. My 8 GB, for instance, are generally used almost completely, but I do not notice performance drops, since it is quite apt at freeing portions up as needed. Does the "RAM pressure indicator" (sorry, in German that's how it's called, don't know how the original wording would be) in the activity monitor turn yellow?

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm currently not behind the actual machine, but there definitely is a performance drop.

Reaction score
Ok, do this. Click on your hard drive icon and open it. Hopefully you will be at the root of the drive.
Open /Library then open LaunchAgents
Look for anything that says Fotolader-uitbreiding in it.
Look for Boom. Get rid of Memory Clean. It's garbage.
Look for Adobe Acrobat Updater. Why are you using SIMBL Agent?
SpotifyWebHelper. All this stuff is in memory. A lot of it you may not need. Or just need on demand, not running all the time.
Check the preferences of your apps. Uncheck anything that says "Start up on login" unless you REALLY need it.
Try another browser. Never cared for Chrome. Too many processes, especially the update junk.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that.

No idea what fotolader or simbl agent are...

Reaction score
SIMBL is a hack some apps use to get around the system. I think Glimmerblocker used to use it among others.
It's not particularly stable and can cause mischief.
Set Activity Monitor to show YOUR processes only (View menu). See what you know you installed (like the Adobe stuff for the cloud) and what you have no idea about.
Start systematically checking and uninstalling things you don't need. Just BE SURE you don't need them.
If this seems like unknown territory you might just follow McBie's advice and reinstall the system and only install what you need.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Having OS X report that you have little free memory when you have a lot of apps running is perfectly OK. What matters is that things can be swapped out when needed..

Open up Activity Monitor and click on the Memory tab. Look at the bottom right and note the App Memory, Wired Memory and Compressed values..

The Wired memory is things that you cannot do anything quickly with since its being used by applications. Now on the left, look at the Swap Used value to see what's going on..

On my rMBP, for comparison, I have 16GB of memory. I have 2 VMs running through VMWare Fusion with 4GB and 6GB dedicated to them, so that's essentially 10GB of my 16GB going to VMs.

I also have Spotify, Safari, Sunrise (Calendar app), Mail, Skype, TextWrangler and Eclipse running right now.

My reported free memory is 106MB..:) But that isn't causing me any grief as I'm using the Swap space when needed for my actions..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And remember to use the Quit command and not simply hitting the red close window button.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, I 'll take a closer look into it this weekend.

And yes, I quit my apps :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.