OSX Maintenance?

S

section31

I'm a 2 month old Mac user and wanted to know what kinds of maintenance can be done to keep things running well on my PB rev3 (1.33Mhz, 1.25Gb RAM). Is there an equivalent to defragmenting, etc.?

I've recently noticed some odd things (i.e.-some video corruption- only once). Things just dont "seem" to be running as quickly. Maybe it's just my perception because I've been using my gaming PC a little bit more this summer. I pretty much do everything else on my PB these days however I'm still learning about the system and want to know what I can do to keep things nice and crisp.

Any help on OSX maintenance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions Also make sure you run cron tasks or use Mac Janitor, Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
I use an application called OnyX that makes OS X maintenance extremely simple and easy. You can take care of all your maintenance needs with a few clicks, and it also allows you to easily customize certain settings and items within OS X. The best part is - it's free. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
hype.it said:
also, the original MacJanitor

Yeah. I used to use MacJanitor, and it's a great application. :) Very easy to use, but now I've come to prefer the additional features of OnyX (although it's a bit more complex as well).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
hey.. if it suit you better, then use it.

Personally, I seldom repair my permissions and crons, haven't any major problems apart from one incident. Normally i just leave everything switch ON! I know it shortens the life of the TFT but by then, i'd would of upgraded and sold the current machine off cheap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hype.it said:
I know it shortens the life of the TFT but by then, i'd would of upgraded and sold the current machine off cheap!

If you're talking about the 20" Cinema listed in your profile, that's an expensive proposition. :eek: :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's not expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hype.it said:
it's not expensive.

I think many people would consider $1300 retail (the equivalent of a new iBook, or two refurbished eMac's :D ) an expensive item, but of course, everything's relative.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.