OSX Lion Install Problem on Older iMac

Reaction score
I have an old mid 07 iMac which the hard drive failed on. I picked up an SSD, and am trying to install OSX Lion from USB.

After selecting the USB as my boot device, the pinwheel runs for about 30 seconds, and then.... nothing! It just stops.

I've actually tried three different OS' - Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion. Same result every time.

Someone suggested I check the system date, which if current could fail the install of these older OS'. It is set to 2011, so that shouldn't be a problem.... I think.

Would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some further explanation is required. Your Mid 2007 iMac can run El Capitan (10.11.X) so you should have been able to install any of those operating systems you mentioned.

You stated that you're trying to install from USB. I assume you mean from a bootable USB flash drive installer? Explain how you're trying to install?

OP
D
Reaction score
I used transmac on a pc to format then burn the disc image to a 16gb usb drive. They were all successful, and transmac can see them...

Thank you!
Daniel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Will not work period. Needs to be done on a Mac. Where did you download Lion OS X.7 from?

And have you formatted the SSD Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Harry replied, it will not work using Transmac from a PC. We've had many folks try it that way before and it always fails. You need a genuine copy of Lion which you can only get from Apple. From that you can make a Flash Drive Installer on an 8GB Flash Drive. Then it will work.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The catch is, you need a working Mac to download and create the bootable USB installer. So have a look around your friends and see if you can impose on them to download the OSX El Capitan installer and use DiskMaker X to create a bootable installer on the thumb drive.
They will need to download the DiskMaker X (free) app as well.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Once you have this bootable source you can start up your mac with it and erase, reformat, repair, or install El Capitan operating system on it. There really is no ther way if you do not have an operating system on the internal drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You mention Leopard, and Snow Leopard, do you have them on dvd? And they won’t install? Then there is another issue, preventing them from installing.

Can you be more specific on the steps you have taken, specifically when trying to install Snow Leopard?

You can order Snow Leopard here, https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard, it’s only $19.99 delivered, and you should receive it within 1-2 days. Well worth it, if you do not already have the dvd.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you all for the assistance - the answer seems pretty clear and agreed upon. I've ordered a Snow Leopard disc.

Its too bad there are so many websites with faulty and misleading information regarding this subject.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
you can also try to restore from a time machine backup, if you know someone who has an OS compatible with your old imac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.