Osx I.e / Safari Problems....

M

mysteriousal

Well, I'm new to OSX, having used OS9 on my G4 for the last few years... However I just upgraded to a shiny new Dual G5 with Panther 10.3...

I am having a couple of really irritating problems with my versions of Internet Explorer, Messanger and Safari. Can anyone help?

1- Internet Explorer just bombs out, randomly- but regularly! I could be doing anything- like checking my e-mail andd it'll just dissapear- Then give me a Windows-style error report message- What's with this? I knew how to allocate more memory to different programs in OS9, but is it possible in OSX?

2- In Safari- Is there any way to do the 'option-click download link to disk' command like I can in IE? I can't find a way of doing it- and it's totally driving me mad..!

3- Is there any way at all to stop Safari setting itself to the default browser for MSN messanger? I have set IE to my default browser in both IE and Safari- But it still pops up every time I try to check my hotmail! What gives? Would it solve the problem if I just deleted Safari altogether? I don't think I'll miss it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
First try repairing permissions close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
mysteriousal said:
2- In Safari- Is there any way to do the 'option-click download link to disk' command like I can in IE? I can't find a way of doing it- and it's totally driving me mad..!

This works fine for me in Safari. Option+Click downloads the target file.

OP
M

mysteriousal

Hmmmm- it's still the fact that Safari is set to default that's really annoying me.
I prefer FireFox or IE, but even setting them as primary browsers (in their own preferences) doesn't stop messanger's check mail service defaulting to Safari!

Please can someone help! Safari is driving me mad!

OP
C

Chamorro

mysteriousal said:
Hmmmm- it's still the fact that Safari is set to default that's really annoying me.
I prefer FireFox or IE, but even setting them as primary browsers (in their own preferences) doesn't stop messanger's check mail service defaulting to Safari!

Please can someone help! Safari is driving me mad!

After repairing persmissions, re-set the default browser in the Safari preferences.
If that doesn't work, check your MSN Messenger preferences.

OP
M

mysteriousal

sounds good- How mdo I repair permissions? What are they?

Cheers for the help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.