OSX 10.9.5 8GB memory

Reaction score
I have gotten into trouble with my startup disk: 1.95GB available. Have cleaned up, deleted apps not used and deleted files in Finder. Now can't even load back working files from external HD, that were there with no problems.
When all files were in finder and had 2.95 GB "available" I deleted some, thinking this would free up space, but saw no change in size of "available"!! Beyond me, please help. Thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Once you deleted the files, did you empty the trash. If you didn't, the free space will not increase.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
Start-up disk full

Once you deleted the files, did you empty the trash. If you didn't, the free space will not increase.

Cheers ... McBie

Thanx for reacting, McBie. Yes, I deleted everything. What I didn't yet get advice on (in another post) is that I tried to delete files from an external, and didn't delete them before closing the external, so they pop-up again in the trash every time I connect the external again, but his doesn't seem to affect the GB available! Roger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
... we refer to RAM on the main board as "memory"
...and Disk Drive space as storage or drive space, but not as memory.
Have you backed up everything you want to keep? You need to delete Many more files from the startup disk than you have done so far.
Most Macs need more than 20 GB of free space for the OS to use as temp storage space. Having just 2.95 GB means your Mac is working harder to copy files in and out of RAM memory.

Maybe you need a second external disk so important files on one external aren't the only copy you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.