OSX 10.4.9 Combo Update Problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.0 Intel 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive
Hey guys,

i'm a new apple user but i've used them a lot in school and for recording with protools. Since I am a new user, i'm unsure how much OSX has to do with the application performances. I just got my macbook yesterday, and i've had 3 instances already where

iChat starts slowing down and when i go to shut down the program, it won't force quit or quit on it's own. I've have the same problem with iTunes as well more than once. Since i've barely had my Macbook 24 hours, is this something to be concerned about and contact apple, or just stop using iChat and see if this happens again?

I have protools and had to get the OSX 10.4.9 Combo update and i thought maybe this is a cause of my problems. I'm just nervous because i just got this and i love it, and it's my first apple, the last thing i want is to drive to the nearest store and have problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Try running the hardware tests that come on one of the discs just to rule out any hardware faults.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i ran the test, it said everything was working just fine. I realy don't seem to be having troubles overall, but it worries me i have had problems with 2 programs already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Did you reinstall the system when you got the macbook? Or are you still using the exact OS that came with the machine. Supposedly that OS is one from the actory. A generic OS. And I've heard your machine can run better if you reinstall it with the discs that come with your machine. Cause their made speciaifally for your machine.

I dunno how true that is though. But I reinstalled the OS when I got my imac and I've had no truoble with it.

This might not fix your problem though. It's just an idea I had.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well if the hardware is good, the next step might just be a little system maintenance...

download either of these:

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences. free!

mainmenu - alternative to onyx, not quite as fully featured, but easier to use, and a bit less dangerous.

run the cache cleaning (for everything). restart the machine when it asks. this first restart will be relatively slow. just let it start, it's rebuilding some application caches from scratch. you're next restarts will be much faster, and you'll be free of the junk left over from the build of the machine.

this may or may not fix the issue, but should make the machine a bit snappier. let us know if that helps and maybe we can come up with something else.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just reinstalled OSX without getting the 10.4.9 update, i'll see how it runs. But i was stupid and forgot to burn the new music i just purchased from iTunes before erasing my drive!:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
ouch. is there now way you can get it back ?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
i just reinstalled OSX without getting the 10.4.9 update, i'll see how it runs. But i was stupid and forgot to burn the new music i just purchased from iTunes before erasing my drive!:Oops:

Call Apple they maybe abale to help you get the music you purchased from iTunes store again.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iTunes wasn't really a concern of mine. It was only about $7 worth. And that's not a big concern because iPhoto just crashed on me now. I'm getting concerned, i've reinstalled OSX and so far, 3 apple programs have crashed on me on more than a few ocasions. I think i'll call Apple. Unless anyone else has had these problems when using an MBox. I'm used to a PC crashing, so it's nothing new to me, but a brand new Apple MacBook, come on. I hate my luck nothing i buy works.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, i installed everything to par with Apple most recent updates, ProTools doesn't even work with the new updates, and iChat, iTunes froze at the same time again. I'm calling Apple and Digidesign tomorrow. This is crazy. I love this MacBook, but the problems i'm having are just enough to say, "Apple, I'm having trouble."

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Also if you have not done so. Use the disk utility application and repair permissions, I tend to do this after upgrafing the OS.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so i tried everything you guys told me and still had some problems. Thanks for the tips though. I talked to apple and they think my problem is strage as well. They think it's ProTools. The problem that is strange though, is i have had problems with ProTools after the 10.4.9 update, but not with the combo update or while in 10.4.8, but in each setting i've had problems with the applications ichat, itunes and ect. I'm using a test mode right now without protools installed and everything seems to be working fine. What's strange to me, is i know at least 30 people running recent protools on recent OSX, and also an entire campus at Middle Tennessee State University. So why am I the only one with these problems? I'm giving Digidesign a call right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.