OSX 10.4.6 installation problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here!

I have just purchased a used 12" iBook G4 through ebay, and i'm trying to wipe it and reinstall OSX 10.4.6 via 'osx backup discs' which were supplied with the laptop. It's still got all the previous owners crap on here and i want rid of it!

Problem is, when i follow all the instructions to boot from the installation disc, all i get is a folder icon with a question mark flashing on it.

I have read various articles on the apple site and none have seemed to help.

Can anyone help me?

thanks and i hope to meet some nice people on this board! :)

MATT

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you holding down the "C" key right after the chime till it boots from the install Media?

If so, does the drive read CD's/DVD's when in the OS install or is the persons OSX install gone now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The only version of Tiger that will work on your machine is the retail version, so if they've given you an iMac or Mac Mini disc, it won't work. Is it on CDs or a DVD? Does your iBook have a DVD drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.