OSX 10.3>10.4 upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook wannabe
I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am quite new to the mac.

If I upgrade my 10.3 to 10.4, will I have to re-install any of my apps? Will all my apps and settings continue to work? Coming from WinXP upgrading was a very risky and usually frustrating exercise. Does it work better in OS X?

Thanks
Cobus
G4 Mac-mini
512 Mb RAM

Reaction score
When I bought my iBook a couple years ago I had it running on 10.3 for quite a while. I upgraded it a bit later with no problem. I was able to use my all of my applications from before and it kept all setting (e.g. mail)...

I know that I was quite impressed how slick the upgrade worked out - expecting worst case scenarios from Win...

Nevertheless: I would do back-ups of all your important data. The upgrad should be fine, but you never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am quite new to the mac.

If I upgrade my 10.3 to 10.4, will I have to re-install any of my apps? Will all my apps and settings continue to work? Coming from WinXP upgrading was a very risky and usually frustrating exercise. Does it work better in OS X?

Thanks
Cobus
G4 Mac-mini
512 Mb RAM

you should not have to re-install any of your apps and your settings should stay the same... everything should continue to work just fine. every time I have upgraded I have never had an issue.. very fast, very easy and far from frustrating.. as dekan suggested make backups just in case.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook wannabe
Thanks guys, I installed it on my mac-mini and everything went super smooth.

What's even more amazing, I installed 10.4 on my 3 year old daughter's iMac G3 (400 MHz, 192 Mb RAM) and it works fine! Although it is not exactly snappy, it works 100%. I plan on upgrading it to 512 Mb RAM as soon as I can find suitable RAM chips. A 7 year old computer running the latest and one of the most sophisticated OS'es ??? Unbelievable. I am amazed more and more each day by Apple.

I am planning on buying a new Macbook, can't wait!!

Cobus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Thanks guys, I installed it on my mac-mini and everything went super smooth.

What's even more amazing, I installed 10.4 on my 3 year old daughter's iMac G3 (400 MHz, 192 Mb RAM) and it works fine! Although it is not exactly snappy, it works 100%. I plan on upgrading it to 512 Mb RAM as soon as I can find suitable RAM chips. A 7 year old computer running the latest and one of the most sophisticated OS'es ??? Unbelievable. I am amazed more and more each day by Apple.

I am planning on buying a new Macbook, can't wait!!

Cobus

I am happy update worked out so well for you.. typically anything you need to do on a mac is pretty simple..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.