OSX 10.10 Startup Glitch

Reaction score
New here! Been looking around.....pretty nice.

A bit discouraged, been having this issue for a while. Just completely reinstalled the operating system...Clean Install...Still an issue. Tried originally from the AppStore, then downloaded another version and created a bootable USB.

Took this little Spielberg to show the issue:

OSX 10.10 Startup Glitch - YouTube

Anyone have an idea?

M

MacInWin

What's the issue? That is the boot sequence for Yosemite. Your next action is to click on the account you want to use and a login box will appear in which you enter the password. I see nothing wrong with what is happening in the video.

OP
I
Reaction score
What's the issue? That is the boot sequence for Yosemite. Your next action is to click on the account you want to use and a login box will appear in which you enter the password. I see nothing wrong with what is happening in the video.

So you're saying the apple splitting and glitching as well as the cut off bottom part of the page is all a normal occurrence for OSX 10.10?

M

MacInWin

Ah, now that you point out the issue, no that's not normal. But other than that, does it work once you get logged in? The glitch in the video looks like a GPU glitch. As long as that's not happening once you get booted, I wouldn't stress over it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ah, now that you point out the issue, no that's not normal. But other than that, does it work once you get logged in? The glitch in the video looks like a GPU glitch. As long as that's not happening once you get booted, I wouldn't stress over it.

Only at startup, it's just a nuisance. Any other known issues in existence that match up to this? I'd really like to get it resolved.

M

MacInWin

Haven't heard any. You haven't said what machine you have, so it's hard to tell. If it's under Apple Care, I'd definitely take it in to the Apple store and have them take a look at it.

M

MacInWin

OK, that's a MBP 5,1, from 2008, right? It's getting pretty old if that is what it is, but it may still be worth it to take it into the Apple store and show them and ask them to run diagnostics. That should be free, but any repairs that result you would have to pay. (Or, you can live with the glitch until something worse happens, which is definitely free and very easy to do. Just close your eyes for a few seconds and pretend it isn't happening....)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
I've seen OS X freak out while booting before with little to no consequences for normal operation afterwards. I suspect this has something to do with the initialization of graphics hardware during boot. If you see issues during normal operation, I'd be worried but otherwise, I'd ignore this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.