OS X Yosemite will not shut down, Disk Utility will not repair HDD

Reaction score
When I try to shut down OS X Yosemite on my MacBook Air, the screen goes black almost immediately with the mouse pointer remaining visible (and moveable). However, it appears that irrespective of how long I give my Mac to shut down, it never does.

When I run Disk Utility it tells me that my HDD needs to be repaired, and that I need to reboot while holding Cmd + R before running Disk Utility. When I do this, Disk Utility tells me that there is nothing wrong with the HDD.

Anyone know the best way to go about resolving this issue?

M

MacInWin

If DU tells you the drive needs repair, the drive needs repair. When you boot holding CMD +R and then run DU, are you pointing to the correct partition on the HD? If you pick the tiny recovery partition, that may well test ok, but that's not the one you need to test.

Reaction score
When I try to shut down OS X Yosemite on my MacBook Air, the screen goes black almost immediately with the mouse pointer remaining visible (and moveable). However, it appears that irrespective of how long I give my Mac to shut down, it never does.

When I run Disk Utility it tells me that my HDD needs to be repaired, and that I need to reboot while holding Cmd + R before running Disk Utility. When I do this, Disk Utility tells me that there is nothing wrong with the HDD.

Anyone know the best way to go about resolving this issue?

I have this problem too.

- Ask computer to be shutdown, screen goes black and gets stuck with spinner up, never goes away even if I wait an hour. The only recourse is a hard reboot.
- Booted normally, disk utility tells me the disk is corrupt
- Reboot with cmd+r down
- Run disk utility in recovery mode
- Select the top level of the only hard drive shown
- Select repair, and it says there is nothing to be done and the disk is in good shape.

Anyone else see this issue and figure out how to resolve? I'm mostly interested in the "won't shutdown properly problem", it's really annoying, and I assume at some point, will kill my drive...

M

MacInWin

If you have external drives, that may be the problem. I have observed that Yosemite does
not shut down properly if I have my externals connected. I've taken to unmounting them before I do a shutdown and that seems to have solved the problem. It's NOT supposed to work that way, but there you go...

C

chas_m

My machine will go black and spin for a minute or so (nothing longer than that), but then I close apps and have no mounted drives up when I'm shutting down, so this is unsurprising. The reason the shutdown takes as long as it does for me is because the contents of 16GB of RAM are being written to disk, I believe.

M

MacInWin

...the contents of 16GB of RAM are being written to disk, I believe.
Why would it do that? All it needs is the shutdown state of any open application, IF you have selected to open apps back to where they were on shutdown. Otherwise, what's in RAM isn't really material to the next boot. It all gets restarted. (Not that I'm questioning that it is or isn't happening, but I cannot think of any logic for it to do so.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.