OS X Yosemite a major pain in my MAC!

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Yosemite to run an App that required the new OS. Prior to that I was running Mountain Lion 10.8 and my Mac was running fast and free with no issues. But now, with every click of my mouse i have to sit and wait for the spinning rainbow wheel of aggravation to stop, just to click again for the wheel to pop back up, a major drag.

Is there a fix for this, or do i need to save my files to an external hd and try to go back to Mountain Lion, which is my preference at this point?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How bad do you need that new App which requires Yosemite to run? And is your machine up to running Yosemite? Without telling us which Mac you have, how much memory is installed, and how much free hard drive space is available, it's difficult to advise you what to do.

If you don't have a Time Machine or cloned backup of your Mountain Lion installation, restoring back to Mountain Lion is not going to be easy and may result in data loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh the old 'upgrade' rears its ugly head again. Still strong believer in format and clean install.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I have an iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, and a TB of disk space which i've only used half of. Unfortunately i've never backed my system up with Time Machine or on an external HD. But i do still have the original set up disk.

I've since deleted the app that required the upgrade.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Was there a period of time when Yosemite was installed but the app you deleted wasn't installed? If so, did Yosemite run well then. If so, I suspect that there is something left behind from the app.

Edit: I'm basing that on the fact that I'm running Yosemite on a MacBook Pro which has a slower Core2Duo than yor iMac and nt experiencing much in the way of beachballs.

Last edited:
OP
Z
Reaction score
My OS started lagging from jump street after the update and before the new app was installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My OS started lagging from jump street after the update and before the new app was installed.

Quite frankly you should just back up your entire drive; reformat it; reinstall Yosemite clean; then migrate you user data back over. That "should" work wonders for you.

Actually, before doing that, download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. Perhaps you "simply" have a corrupt cache as a consequence of the upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.