os x password help on new hard drive install

Reaction score
I installed a new hard drive on my mid 2007 iMac. I used Disk Utility to erase the new hard drive and create a Journaled HFS file system. Then I installed Snow Leopard. After I installed the OS, I restored a Time Machine backup. Now the OS is asking for my original password, which I know, but the system isn't recognizing it. The system also asked for the master password, which it did accept in order to set up a new password for my user account. When I entered a new password, the os wouldn't accept that either. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi sonnata and welcome to the Forums.

Others with more direct experience will chime in soon, but a question that I have to ask is: after you had wiped the HD and during the re-installation of Snow Leopard, did you create a new identity? You may have been asked if you wanted to or done so yourself. I ask because if you did, and then used TM to restore, there will be a conflict between the account identity you created and that which was on TM. This is a recognised cause of your difficulty (and is especially true of people using migration assistant if they create a new identity).

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your advice, Ian. I apologize for the tardy response.

I think that may have been what happened, but I didn't log the process and I don't remember setting up a new identity. I wound up taking the machine to an apple store where they wiped the HD, then installed Mavericks. They also told me what to do if I ran into the same issue after I restored my TM backup.

I'm going to make a bootable disk from Mavericks to save myself a trip to the Apple store should something go wrong with this hard drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm glad that a solution has emerged and hope that all goes well with you.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.