OS X on a PC, finally!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I dunno my fellow PC owners but I'm ecstatic about this. A couple of college guys got together and started work on an emulator that lets you run OS X on your x86 based PC. Technically, it emulates the PowerPC architecture entirely, so any Mac OS would work. After eons of development, it finally works, and they've gotten it to boot into OS X and function just fine. It's painfully slow right now, and the networking and sound functions are goofy, but it works.

They claim that in good time this thing will fly. This has incredible implications for the PC industry.

Check it out over here:
http://www.emaculation.com/
and here:
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/index.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Looks pretty impressive.

P

pcjabber

It works pretty well. I am waiting for my iBook that I will purchase (hopefully) today, so I am running it on Linux, but it is DOG-SLOW!!! Like, trying to run Mac OS X on a PowerMac 7400 AIO. (I don't think that would run, but about that slow). Networking somewhat works under linux, but sound is a joke! and don't try to ALT-TAB between apps in the host system (linux or windowz) -- it is even more slow. But it is interesting =)

PCjabber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
yeah, in the forums that i used to visit, they all "hate" macs, but when they seen the news about this.. there was like 1500 posts all trying to get it to work... hahaha

B

bru

If they get it to perform better, you could run os x w/ a sff (small form factor, aka a cube) pc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That's really cool, but I think on x86 why not just run freeBSD? it's part of the OS X foundation :)

M

MoltenLava

It's funny to see the attempts to emulate MacOS on a PC over and over again. Does anyone here remember Executor? It actually worked quite well, quite fast, for 10 minutes before the built in time bome would go off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.