OS X - Microsoft Remote Desktop App Problems

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have a clue why I can RDP from my Macbook to my work Windows machine fine, but it won't connect from my Mac Mini with exactly the same settings, app and network? It says "Unable to connect to the remote PC. Please provide the fully-qualified name or the IP address of the remote PC, and then try again." I can't find a reason for it and I know the connection works, its something to do with my Mac Mini Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We need more details than this. What apps are you using to RDP? What version of OS X? Have you checked your settings and if so, which ones?

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm using the Microsoft Remote Desktop App available in the app store (the one with the red logo) version 8.0.13. I am running OS X version 10.9.5 on both machines.

The windows machine is running 8.1, I had to do some tweaking to get the rdp to work with the 8.1 update.

The settings I have checked are the preferences in the app (they are the same as the macbook) and I know my windows machine can accept incoming connections.

Not sure what else to try?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Are you connecting via a straight internet connection? Or are you going through a VPN? If it's the latter, you may need to make sure you have the right certificate on the Mac Mini.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm using a VPN, where would I update the certificates please? Thank you!

OP
H
Reaction score
So I've missed something (sorry), I thought both Macs were on Yosemite, but the Air hasn't updated so that is on the previous version so I think it may well be something to do with Yeosmite!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.