OS X Mail and messenger apps. won't stay connected

D

dglenn

Using Mac G5 1.8GHz DP with 1GB Ram. OS X 10.3.8
Problem: Mail constantly asks for my password, although it's set to remember my password.
When using a messenger application such as MSN Messenger(ugh!) or Adium, which seemed at first much more stable, the connection is dropoped every few minutes or so, then reconnects. I thought I'd narrowed the problem down to my internet connection (cable). I had my cable company test the connection and was told it's very strong, 'no problems'. My cable company told me it could be a TCP setting or something along those lines. I need to use a messenger app. to communicate with business associates, I like Adium very much and would like to stay with it. When using Safari everything seems okay except now and again page loading stalls momentarily.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECAITED.

OP
B

Basket_Case_24

MSN Messenger 4? this is the worst program ever. it dosconnects on my computer ALL the time, and Safari sometimes stalls! to get round this i'm using Mercury Messenger 1708 (NOT 1709) this hasn't given in on me yet, also i use Mozilla Firefox, probably the best web browser out there!! hope this helped!

Reaction score
Sounds like lag to me. When does it happen ? if it's at a busy time of day for internet, like in the evening then it could just be that your server is too busy and the connection is dropped. Of course they will not own up to this it's much easier to say 'No, no the problem. Must be with your computer because our service is brilliant'
Never had any problems with safari stalling, it's a well made program.

With Mail you could try making the mail checking time longer so that the e-mails are checked every 20 minutes or so. I get the impression that some servers don't like it if the e-mails are checked every five minutes as this is naturally allot of extra traffic to deal with. Mail will ask for the password again because the passwords have been refused it's not because it has forgot them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.