OS X cannot be installed

Reaction score
hey guys

I recently upgaraded my hdd from a 500gb to a 1TB hdd. so the hadd is now black. i inserted my Mac OS x snow leopard 10.6.2 retail copy and everything went fine until the installation part. which gave me an error "Mac OS X cant be installed on this computer". and it shows a harddrive with a yellow exclamation point and a option to restart or restore for backup. do i have to downgrade by 10.6?

my specs are:

Imac 21.5 inch
intel core duo 3.06GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
4GB ram 1066Mhz
1TB harddrive

this imac is pretty new
PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Run the installer. When it gets to the page of the installer that lets you select disks, open the "Utilities" menu up top. Run Disk Utility. You're going to need to then select your hard disk from the list on the left, then click the "Partition" tab. In the main window, below the control marked "Volume Scheme" will be a button marked "Options..."

Select that button and choose the "GUID" partition method. Mac OS X can't run on an Intel Mac with APM, nor will a Mac boot an MBR disk.

Hope this helps!

OP
E
Reaction score
Run the installer. When it gets to the page of the installer that lets you select disks, open the "Utilities" menu up top. Run Disk Utility. You're going to need to then select your hard disk from the list on the left, then click the "Partition" tab. In the main window, below the control marked "Volume Scheme" will be a button marked "Options..."

Select that button and choose the "GUID" partition method. Mac OS X can't run on an Intel Mac with APM, nor will a Mac boot an MBR disk.

Hope this helps!

thanks for your help, 1 question which Format do i use? its currently set on mac os x extended (journaled). and i select 1 partion correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Extended (Journaled) is perfect. The number of partitions doesn't matter, though. It's your preference! I keep two on my Macs, but that's just because I like having lots of hard disk icons on my desktop :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Darnit. Okay, I don't get it. I'm afraid that I don't have the slightest clue what's going on :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.