OS X - A real multi-tasker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
Hey! I'm a pretty new switcher; I bought my first Mac (a 15" MBP) about 3 months ago. Initially, I was a little wary. Everything I read about OS X was how great it was, so I guess I must have been expecting the sea to part. After using it for a while, I find that it does have it's own issues. However, the purpose of this post is to talk about one of the reasons I love my new Mac: OS X and it's multi tasking.

In Windows, whenever I would delete a relative large folder and tried to delete another file/folder while the first was deleting, XP would tend to.. well... give up, I guess. It would usually freeze up, and Explorer would crash or something. It was weird, because it seemed to happen whenever I tried, so of course I just stopped doing it. The other day, I was on an XP machine in the computer lab at the university and was dragging a file to the recycling bin (hah, that's from the "drag it to the trash" ubiquity in OS X) and my cursor happened to cross the "Windows Live Shared Folders" thingy, which MSN (Live Messenger) uses I guess. These shared folders were not available, probably because I've never used them and have no idea what it is... Everything locked up, and eventually I was able to alt+tab out of windows explorer and back to my web browser. It was crashing, and bad... haha. In Task Manager, the process "Drag" was Not Responding, so I had to kill it (really, Drag was not responding...) and eventually everything came back, but not after the usual "everything goes away and comes back" that I know too well in XP).

Now I'm on my Mac, and I can "queue" up several deletes, one after the other. The tasks are appended to a list (something like when you have two things happening in Mail, say incoming and outgoing messages at the same time). Both progress bars chug along, and in the end, what I deleted is gone.

More importantly for me, I open up Safari and browse the Mac-Forums every time I am doing something in Finder that could take a few seconds (like deleting a large folder, or emptying the trash). I can continue to work like nothing is happening, and it's great.

Just felt like sharing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
OSX is not perfect, but it's close. :)

I prefer Tiger personally... Leopard has some issues for sure. Leopard is the Windows Vista of the Mac.

OSX is very stable.... I like that part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I prefer Tiger personally... Leopard has some issues for sure. Leopard is the Windows Vista of the Mac.

I would completely disagree with that statement. Leopard had some issues in .0, bit since .2 it's more than acceptable and has surpassed Tiger in all respects IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yes, for some reason we still can't fathom, every post of yours seems to mention how you couldn't install Leopard on your pretty up to date iMac!

It's still a mystery exactly what problems you had...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 108 posts. every one? I dont think every post mentions it. could you be stretching the truth just a wee bit? And yes its a mystery, even to apple. Over an hour on the phone with support and they could not even explain it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It is a running theme ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I guess I have mentioned it a few times. first time in 17 years I had to downgrade a OS upgrade. Very disappointing :(

guess I still have not gotten over the shock and horror of it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...In Windows, whenever I would delete a relative large folder and tried to delete another file/folder while the first was deleting, XP would tend to.. well... give up, I guess. It would usually freeze up, and Explorer would crash or something. It was weird, because it seemed to happen whenever I tried, so of course I just stopped doing it. The other day, I was on an XP machine in the computer lab at the university and was dragging a file to the recycling bin (hah, that's from the "drag it to the trash" ubiquity in OS X) and my cursor happened to cross the "Windows Live Shared Folders" thingy, which MSN (Live Messenger) uses I guess. These shared folders were not available, probably because I've never used them and have no idea what it is... Everything locked up, and eventually I was able to alt+tab out of windows explorer and back to my web browser. It was crashing, and bad... haha. In Task Manager, the process "Drag" was Not Responding, so I had to kill it (really, Drag was not responding...) and eventually everything came back, but not after the usual "everything goes away and comes back" that I know too well in XP).

Well I'm not trying to defend Windows or anything, but I don't have any problems deleting files that are 11GB+ >_>" on my Windows PC. So I have no clue what's up with your computer or the University computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3G | 13 Inch 2.4 GHZ new MacBook
Macs are goood

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
well I guess I have mentioned it a few times. first time in 17 years I had to downgrade a OS upgrade. Very disappointing :(

guess I still have not gotten over the shock and horror of it.

How you can not see that your issue with leopard is not the fault of the OS or Apple is beyond me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.