OS X 10.4.11 Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm just looking for really basic advice on OS upgrades. I got my imac as a gift used, and to be honest am not even sure how old it is. The copyright is through 2007, so I'd assume that's the year it was purchased.

I have no idea how OS upgrades work through apple, and can't really figure out what to do on the website. I'm just looking for a basic rundown of how high it's possible to upgrade my OS X. Am I able to buy Lion? Or is the version I have now as high as my computer will be able to handle?

Thanks for helping out a complete idiot!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi Everyone, I'm just looking for really basic advice on OS upgrades.

I'll ask a really basic question back at you...we REALLY need to know what model Mac you have so we can help!:)

At least the:

- processor type (G3, G4, G5, or Intel)
- the processor speed
- how much ram you have
- and the type of computer it is (iBook, Powerbook, Powermac, iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air)

Most of this info can be found under the Apple menu...then choose "About This Mac".

HTH,

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Ah, yes. That would help wouldn't it haha.

The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed is 2 Ghz.

Here's a paste of the hardware overview

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version: 1.20f4
Serial Number: W8733EU5X85

Should have maybe thought about all that, sorry!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, yes. That would help wouldn't it haha.

The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor speed is 2 Ghz.

Here's a paste of the hardware overview

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version: 1.20f4
Serial Number: W8733EU5X85

Should have maybe thought about all that, sorry!

AWESOME...that info is VERY helpful!:)

So to your question. Yes your computer (iMac) can run Lion...but in order to download Lion...you need access to the "Mac App Store".

Apple - App Store - Buy, download, and install apps made for Mac.

To have access to the Mac App Store...you need at least OS 10.6.6 installed on your computer.

So here's what you need to do:

1. Purchase OS 10.6:
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

2. After you get your install disk...install OS 10.6.
3. Run "Software Update"...to get the latest version of OS 10.6
4. Go to the "Mac App Store"
5. Purchase & download Lion.
6. Make a "bootable disk" of Lion before installing it.
7. Install Lion.

You're done!:) Of course you can stick with OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) if you want...which in that case...you can stop after step 3.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
WOW.

If I had a diary I'd mark today as the first time someone asked a question on an online forum and got a straight answer without being flamed in any way.

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was looking for, just a simple explanation of what I can do...perfect.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW.

If I had a diary I'd mark today as the first time someone asked a question on an online forum and got a straight answer without being flamed in any way.

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was looking for, just a simple explanation of what I can do...perfect.

Good deal man!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
WOW.

Nah! It's happened many times before.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
AWESOME...that info is VERY helpful!:)

So to your question. Yes your computer (iMac) can run Lion...but in order to download Lion...you need access to the "Mac App Store".

Apple - App Store - Buy, download, and install apps made for Mac.

To have access to the Mac App Store...you need at least OS 10.6.6 installed on your computer.

So here's what you need to do:

1. Purchase OS 10.6:
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

2. After you get your install disk...install OS 10.6.
3. Run "Software Update"...to get the latest version of OS 10.6
4. Go to the "Mac App Store"
5. Purchase & download Lion.
6. Make a "bootable disk" of Lion before installing it.
7. Install Lion.

You're done!:) Of course you can stick with OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) if you want...which in that case...you can stop after step 3.:)

- Nick
For the sake of providing multiple options (Nick isn't wrong), you could purchase the Lion USB drive from Apple and skip the whole "install SL, install 10.6.8 to get the App Store, install Lion" routine. Going that route will cost you an extra $10 (at least here that's what the difference is) but thought I'd throw it out there in case that's of interest.

Also note that Lion requires at least 2GB of RAM (see here) which means that if you want Lion, you'll also have to put in at least another GB of RAM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the sake of providing multiple options (Nick isn't wrong), you could purchase the Lion USB drive from Apple and skip the whole "install SL, install 10.6.8 to get the App Store, install Lion" routine. Going that route will cost you an extra $10 (at least here that's what the difference is) but thought I'd throw it out there in case that's of interest.

Also note that Lion requires at least 2GB of RAM (see here) which means that if you want Lion, you'll also have to put in at least another GB of RAM.

Thanks for adding that Vansmith!:) I remember back before Apple released the "Lion USB Stick"...we were having some discussions as to whether or not Snow Leopard would still be required before using the stick. Seems like that question has been answered.

Also...nice catch regarding the OP's ram.:) Gonna need another gig (2 total min.).

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing Van brought out that is very important, 1GB RAM even with Snow Leopard is a bit lean and 2GB are needed for Lion. Is your Mac an iMac with everything in the screen? If so, easy to upgrade the RAM.

I have a 2007 iMac and I installed 4GB RAM and lion flys!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Also...nice catch regarding the OP's ram.:) Gonna need another gig (2 total min.).
Thanks. The only reason I caught that was because of another thread where that was brought up recently. Otherwise, I would have read right over it. :)

One thing Van brought out that is very important, 1GB RAM even with Snow Leopard is a bit lean and 2GB are needed for Lion. Is your Mac an iMac with everything in the screen? If so, easy to upgrade the RAM.

I have a 2007 iMac and I installed 4GB RAM and lion flys!
Yeah, I'm a big advocate of upgrading hardware beyond the minimum. 2GB might be the minimum and it might run but you'll have the worst possible experience with Lion. keithsullivan, if you decide to go to Lion and you have the money/time/expertise, I'd suggest you put more than an additional GB of RAM in there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I'm a big advocate of upgrading hardware beyond the minimum. 2GB might be the minimum and it might run but you'll have the worst possible experience with Lion. keithsullivan, if you decide to go to Lion and you have the money/time/expertise, I'd suggest you put more than an additional GB of RAM in there.

I looked up the specs for the OP's (keithsullivan) computer...and if I got the correct computer model...officially it can take 4 gig of ram (but can be upgraded to 6 gig).

@keithsullivan...so (if it's in the budget) I would recommend upgrading to 4gig of ram.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.