OS X 10.10 Yosemite Mail Window Control

Reaction score
With OS X 10.10 I can no longer control when to hide Apple Mail windows. I have multiple monitors and I can no longer move the mail window or a message to another monitor. I want to be in control, not the System. Has anyone learned how to over ride the OS control of Apple Mail windows? Yes I have l checked System and Mail preferences.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a second monitor as well and haven't experienced these problems with either application. The one thing I have noticed is that you can't "stop" when moving the window. In other words the windows do not appear on the second monitor until the entire window is moved there.

Hope I didn't misunderstand the question.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you Slydude for the suggestion, however that does not work on my MacBookPro Retina. I've tried holding down control and drag, option and drag, command and drag, and shift and drag. Nothing works to move the Mail Window or a Message to the other monitor.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well of course I clicked and dragged.

I did figure out the problem. When the green dot (button) in the upper left corner is clicked, the Mail header disappears and the Mail window will not move with a click and drag. I concluded that was the mode I was in. I found that when you click the green dot (button) again, the Mail header reappears and the window can then be moved to another monitor. And yes, Jake, a simple click and drag works.

M

MacInWin

Well of course I clicked and dragged.

I did figure out the problem. When the green dot (button) in the upper left corner is clicked, the Mail header disappears and the Mail window will not move with a click and drag. I concluded that was the mode I was in. I found that when you click the green dot (button) again, the Mail header reappears and the window can then be moved to another monitor. And yes, Jake, a simple click and drag works.
Well, you didn't say, so I had to ask...:)

Yosemite changed the way the green button works. It's now full screen instead of smart size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.