OS X 10.10.3 Beta

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've been using it for a while now (registered dev) and the only thing different for me is the Photos app which I haven't played around with much. Hmmm, I may not be the best person for this thread.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
At least you let us know the photo app is the biggest and possibly only change?? I use photoshop and Lightroom so I have little interest in the photo app. Unless it does something phantasmagorical that just blows me away, I don't plan to use it.

So no other "fixes"???? I think I will just wait for the final release.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After receiving the emal am waiting for a more adventurous soul, such as vansmith, to give us the ins and outs of Apple Photo. Earlier reports this would not be released until later this year, possibly OS X.11.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll probably download it tomorrow. I want to play around with the new photos app. It might do everything I use Photoshop for.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have a spare Mac and don't feel like installing it either on an external drive or virtual machine. I'll let all you "pioneers" take the helm. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a separate partition for all the Betas. I just installed earlier today 10.10.3 Beta. Like I said in another thread I have not had time to really mess with Photos yet but will report back. Some say it's much better than iPhoto but no replacement for Aperture. I am probably one of the few who never got Aperture so that I can not comment on.

C

chas_m

Regarding photos, I posted a link to a very detailed article about it in another thread. Here it is again: http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/02...for.iphoto.users.falls.short.on.pro.features/

In my own experimentation with it, there's a few things that are missing that annoy me. However, at least half of them I expect to have put back in by the time the final one arrives. two of the biggest missing features for me are the quick preview (we can quickly compare your added to the original), and flags.

The speed, the organization, the handling of raw files, and the speed – did I mention the speed? — are impressive. I also like the editing controls, they seem a definite step up from iPhoto, but they will not impress any professionals. On the other hand, they aren't meant to.

One thing that is annoying me is that when you are offered a chance to use the iCloud Photo Library, it's an all-or-nothing situation. You either have to import your entire photo library to iCloud, or not use that feature at all. It should be more savvy about that. I feel like I need to reiterate for the paranoid among us that the iCloud Photo Library option is exactly that — an option. You don't have to use it.

Photos, at present, and it is early days yet – feels like about two thirds of a program. I expect they will get it closer to 90% of a real program by the time the initial release happens, which I expect to come along in April or May.

Bottom line: as a consumer photo management and editing program, Photos is well on its way to being a superior alternative to iPhoto. A few restored features, and a little spit polish, is probably all it needs to be a first class replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012

Photo is a great replacement for iPhoto but not Aperture. For me I will use Aperture for as long as I can and look for a replacement, possibly PS.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
After receiving the emal am waiting for a more adventurous soul, such as vansmith, to give us the ins and outs of Apple Photo.

I'll let all you "pioneers" take the helm. ;D
I feel like such a risk taker...haha.

The Photos app is nice if all you need is basic edits (which is what it's designed for anyway). The only fault of Photos is not the Mac app and continues to be the slow speed at which pictures get pushed into iCloud. If only I could hook this into OneDrive instead of iCloud...

C

chas_m

Van:

You may get your wish. Photos is supposed to have a good plug-in architecture, which opens up all kinds of possibilities. We'll see what develops. Ha! I made a photo joke.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.