OS Ventura is available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5"4K, MBP 15" wTB
So has anyone downloaded Ventura? I like to wait for others to give it a try first. I will wait anyway until I finish a project I am working on as I don't need issues to pop up and not be able to complete it.

Any opinions or experiences are welcome!

Lisa
I just did my M1 iMac (Clean install). No problems. Just the usual warnings that software not compatible with macOS 13 (TechTool Pro 16) and some Adobe relatives that need Rosette 2. Just some interface changes to get used to. Trying out Stage Manager, might work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
I'm still on Mojave, but have been itching to upgrade to one of the newer versions. Waiting a bit to see if Ventura has any show-stoppers. I'm running a 2017 model 5K, 27-inch, custom build 4.2ghz i7.

My warranty expired a few months ago, so I'm thinking of getting rid of the notoriously crappy Fusion drive and putting something a bit zippier in there too. (iFixit to the rescue)

I've had a few gremlins pop up of late, and I'm hoping starting *really* fresh will give this puppy a few more years of life. The 5K screen is just amazing....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm still on Mojave, but have been itching to upgrade to one of the newer versions. Waiting a bit to see if Ventura has any show-stoppers. I'm running a 2017 model 5K, 27-inch, custom build 4.2ghz i7.

My warranty expired a few months ago, so I'm thinking of getting rid of the notoriously crappy Fusion drive and putting something a bit zippier in there too. (iFixit to the rescue)

I've had a few gremlins pop up of late, and I'm hoping starting *really* fresh will give this puppy a few more years of life. The 5K screen is just amazing....

Oh yeah man. Drop a proper SSD in and at least upgrade to Monterey. That was rock solid for me on both an M1 MBA and 2019 iMac. No complaints at all. That I recall anyway. LOL! It's a little early for me to say about Ventura, but so far it seems ok on my MBA. I'm holding off on my iMac until perhaps the first major update. At that point, I'll probably do a clean install there. I did an in-place upgrade on the MBA. Big Sur was great also. Catalina? Not so much, at least not until late in life.

Actually, if you are current with iOS/iPadOS 16, then you really should look at Ventura. I upgraded early to iOS 16, and the enhancements for Messages didn't carry over to Monterey. That was very frustrating to have to delete unwanted conversations twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
So has anyone downloaded Ventura? I like to wait for others to give it a try first. I will wait anyway until I finish a project I am working on as I don't need issues to pop up and not be able to complete it.

Lisa
Agree 100% and I too shall be monitoring other's experiences. I work with Photoshop, Illustrator and SketchUp, but lots of extensions and plugins, and those are the items that worry me.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stage Manager is a combination window manager and switcher. Looks useful.

I've been trying it with Stage Manager today, and I wound up turning it off. It's nifty, but what really turned me off from it is that with SM on, apps don't open up fully left-to-right. Some space on the right is... I'll say "soft reserved" for Stage Manager to have open windows minimized to for quick access. I can make a point of forcing these windows to open up to that space by dragging from the right-hand border of their window, but it doesn't stick on re-opening and when done, masks any other apps that are open but minimized to SM and thus reducing its usefulness. One consequence of this is that, with my web browser for example on the display resolution I use on my MBA, many web pages have to be scrolled left-to-right unless I make a point of forcibly opening the window all the way to the right (or go fullscreen). Now, on a much larger display with plenty of real estate, you'd have a whole different ballgame and I suspect it would be very useful for a lot of people. In my use case, it just isn't useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I also have Stage Manager off for now, but I know one circumstance in which it will be handy. I have an external monitor attached to my MBP (see profile for details). On that external I have five open windows that are open all the time. Those five apps are in my login items to start every time I login. Works well when at my desk and have the second monitor. However, I do travel, and I take my MBP with me. Booting and logging in on the road is a bit of a PITA as those same five apps open, but all on my MBP screen, overlapping and blocking each other. But I like having them available, so I end up minimizing them to the Doc, where they are forgotten. SM will let me park them "off stage" where they will not clutter the desktop, but not be forgotten, as they tend to be on the Dock. I'm not planning on traveling again soon, but I can imagine how it would work well.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I use two external monitors at work. I tend to close or minimize all apps before I disconnect the external monitors and close the MBP's lid. I am kinda OCD and like to clear off my desktop before I quit.

When I upgrade to Ventura I will check out Stage Manager.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
IWT: Re Malwarebyes, I removed it from my 2017 27" iMac (Monterey) some while ago, undoubtedly in response to an earlier thread here. Reading your post today, Find Any File searched "malwarebytes" just in case. It found one item, at /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application Support (see attached)

I right-clicked it, but the choice to "Delete" or "Move to Trash" does not display. Also, selecting it and clicking "Delete" on the keyboard just makes a sound.

Is there another way to get rid of it? Or just forget it?

Thank you.

Attachments

• malwarebytes.png
    malwarebytes.png
    491.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IWT: Re Malwarebyes, I removed it from my 2017 27" iMac (Monterey) some while ago, undoubtedly in response to an earlier thread here. Reading your post today, Find Any File searched "malwarebytes" just in case. It found one item, at /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application Support (see attached)

I right-clicked it, but the choice to "Delete" or "Move to Trash" does not display. Also, selecting it and clicking "Delete" on the keyboard just makes a sound.

Here's a page with tips.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have 27in intel iMac. Haven't downloaded Ventura yet, I have 21 graphics display tablet attached to the imac . Does this Ventura play nice with graphics tablets? Hard to set up on it? or I won't notice the difference? Those are the only questions I have before installing . And thanks for the basic info everyone has posted here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello everyone. I have 27in intel iMac. Haven't downloaded Ventura yet, I have 21 graphics display tablet attached to the imac . Does this Ventura play nice with graphics tablets? Hard to set up on it? or I won't notice the difference? Those are the only questions I have before installing . And thanks for the basic info everyone has posted here.

It would help if you could give us the exact model of your tablet.

Reaction score
Just a note. Someone reported in a different group that Ventura killed Filemaker Pro 18 for her. She had to purchase FMP 19 to regain access to all of her data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8

Lisa
I have a 2017 iMac and am pleased to say only problem so far is that I seem to have lost my favourite font, Apple Garamond. It took me a while to discover that saved passwords have sensibly been moved to System Settings to match iOS. I backed up beforehand to an external SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner's Legacy bootable copy of the MacOS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Thank you.
stefanmaine, it was some time ago, probably 3 years + so different macOS and as mentioned I used the recommended uninstall method supplied by Malwarebytes. These days I have a better app uninstaller and many of us have a very different macOS on a completely different processor. It's likely that the one file you found /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Application Support takes up little space and does no harm even if it is redundant.
It is possible that you did delete it in FAF, check your Trash. Remember when you delete something from FAF's window it doesn't disappear it just changes location to Trash.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So what does everyone think about the Ventura OS? I've only just installed it and really the two outstanding additions/changes for me are the System Preferences to System Settings change and the introduction of Stage Manager (SM). I can imagine the latter being of more use on a big display rather than my 14" MBP but I can think of some instances where it might be better than Mission Control via Hot Corners. For example Pages, which I have open at the moment, doesn't take up the whole desktop, whereas my browser window does (my choice), so if I leave SM on, go to Mission Control via Hot Corners and bring Pages to the front, my browser becomes visible on the left of screen making it very easy to swap back. I'm sure I'll find other uses as time goes by but it all hinges on having enough realestate to display the other open apps beside the active window.

No, I stand corrected, if I move my cursor to the left edge of my full screen browser display the other open windows appear on top of the active one. I like that.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Rod and anyone else running Ventura:

I understand Stage Manager (SM) from reading & videos. What I want to ask is how SM integrates - or competes with - multiple Desktops.

I have about 10 Desktops with specific apps dedicated to each. That's a bit OTT I admit and my current plan is to cut back on these.

It almost seems that multiple Desktops become redundant in Ventura if one uses SM??

Any comments much appreciated. (y)

Ian

Reaction score
So what does everyone think about the Ventura OS?

Probably no one here cares, but folks in my user group live and die by the dictation/transcription feature. It's been updated yet again for Ventura. I haven't heard from anyone who has tried it yet. (Most of the folks in my user group will wait to upgrade until Ventura matures a bit.) I'd really appreciate it if someone here who already has Ventura installed could give dictation/transcription a try and see if it is highly accurate and easy to use.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-dictation-mh40584/mac

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Randy, I'll give it a try tomorrow an let you know.

@IWT, I didn't really push the SM boundaries to multiple desktops although I use them a lot. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.