OS Ventura is available

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So has anyone downloaded Ventura? I like to wait for others to give it a try first. I will wait anyway until I finish a project I am working on as I don't need issues to pop up and not be able to complete it.

Any opinions or experiences are welcome!

Lisa

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Upgrading my personal Mac Studio right now...will report back shortly.

Update: The upgrade went without a hitch. It's a 6.37GB download and with my gig FiOS connection over Ethernet, I downloaded it all in about 35 seconds (close to 100 MB/s download).The update took the usual 25 mins or so.

Greeted with a very bright default red background, might have to change that to something a little more mellow. Settings is now dramatically different and it works. Haven't had a chance to play with anything of value yet, will play with it and report back anything interesting and/or fun.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nice...thanks Lisa.:)

Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Also today:

Update of Monterey to 12.6.1 and Safari to 16.1

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And WatchOS, and iOS and iPad OS and TVos. It's an update kind of day...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Not if you are on holiday like me. That will all have to wait for 4 days;) 329C2092-BBC3-4771-B372-1E4B9B035D08.jpeg

Reaction score
MacOS Ventura (macOS 13, but I note that they are avoiding calling it that) is available via Software Update, or:

How to download macOS

macappstores://apps.apple.com/app/macos-ventura/id1638787999?mt=12 (expired link removed)

macOS Ventura

Major new features of note:

Stage Manager is a combination window manager and switcher. Looks useful.

Freeform is a real time collaboration feature. This could be huge for business users.

SystemPreferences has been replaced with System Settings. It looks more like Settings on an iPhone now. Doesn't seem any better or worse.

As with every version of the macOS for years now, dictation/transcription has been upgraded. It will take some testing to see if it is finally a decent replacement for the no-longer-available Dragon Dictate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Greeted with a very bright default red background, might have to change that to something a little more mellow.
Definitely!
What were they thinking about?

Reaction score
MacOS Ventura is available via Software Update

On a different discussion list several folks who have been beta testing Ventura for a long time, and some early adopters and one developer, all seem to agree that Ventura is exceptionally buggy for a new major release of the Mac OS, and that it might be a good idea to hold off on upgrading until the point-1 or point-2 version.

The developer says that he's seen slowdowns, Mac's over-heating, runaway fans, and some browser weirdness in Ventura.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting, Randy. Since I am not dependent on my MBP for business, I've upgraded to Ventura and have seen none of those issues. In fact, the CPU utilization on my M1 Pro MBP is even less busy than it was under Monterey. As for browsers, Safari has be weird for a while, well before Ventura. Wonder what they are running that created those issues? Were they on Intel or Apple Silicon? Be nice to know. I don't delve into the innards of the OS any more, I use it as an appliance, and it has, so far, been solid for me. But, I'm one user, one machine and maybe I dodged the bullet.

Reaction score
I'm hearing various types of reports. Someone today reported that the upgrade was painless and that they didn't even have to suffer through the usual day or so of Spotlight re-indexing their hard drive.

They said that all of these major apps are functioning fine under Ventura:
Microsoft Office, Swift Publisher Pro, Affinity Photo, Day One, iTerm, BusyContacts, BusyCal, Fantastical, 1Password, BBEdit, MailSteward, LittleSnitch, SpamSieve, and Domotz Pro.

Reaction score
Hi, I updated yesterday my iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 and have seen no issue except tha fact that fans are spinning like crazy and I do not understand why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Only issue I have found so far is with Malwarebytes. When launched it asks for Full Access. Checking Privacy & Security shows Full Access has been allowed!
Solution, uncheck Full Access then recheck it.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Only issue I have found so far is with Malwarebytes. When launched it asks for Full Access. Checking Privacy & Security shows Full Access has been allowed!
Solution, uncheck Full Access then recheck it.

Malwarebytes has changed a lot since it was sold off and many of us here have advised that it be deleted from the Mac because of the risk of associated malware and because it permeates the whole of the Mac - such that complete deletion is difficult.

Obviously, one can uninstall/delete it from Applications; but then if you use Find Any File (or Easy Find) Malwarebytes "bits" can be found in many corners of the Mac and these need to be deleted as well - which both of these apps will do, especially Find Any File.

If I were you, I would never allow it full Disk access and I'd remove it in the manner described above.

If you check our Forums, you'll see that this has been discussed many times.

Your choice, obviously.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know - it’s now gone!

Reaction score
Malwarebytes has changed a lot since it was sold off and many of us here have advised that it be deleted from the Mac because of the risk of associated malware and because it permeates the whole of the Mac - such that complete deletion is difficult.

Obviously, one can uninstall/delete it from Applications; but then if you use Find Any File (or Easy Find) Malwarebytes "bits" can be found in many corners of the Mac and these need to be deleted as well - which both of these apps will do, especially Find Any File.

If I were you, I would never allow it full Disk access and I'd remove it in the manner described above.

Your choice, obviously.
Just to confirm, Detect X Swift seems to be running just fine on my Mac upgraded to Ventura yesterday.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DetectX Swift is well recommended here. The other option is Intego VirusBanner Scanner which is also free in App Store.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
On a different discussion list several folks who have been beta testing Ventura for a long time, and some early adopters and one developer, all seem to agree that Ventura is exceptionally buggy for a new major release of the Mac OS, and that it might be a good idea to hold off on upgrading until the point-1 or point-2 version.

The developer says that he's seen slowdowns, Mac's over-heating, runaway fans, and some browser weirdness in Ventura.

I was originally plainning to wait myself since that's proving to be a generally good idea the past few years, but with Messages not syncing deleted conversations to iOS 16, that actually became the overriding factor for me. I hope it doesn't bite me in the rear! So far, all seems ok with my M1 MBA. Gonna hold off on the 2019 iMac though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hearing various types of reports. Someone today reported that the upgrade was painless and that they didn't even have to suffer through the usual day or so of Spotlight re-indexing their hard drive.

They said that all of these major apps are functioning fine under Ventura:
Microsoft Office, Swift Publisher Pro, Affinity Photo, Day One, iTerm, BusyContacts, BusyCal, Fantastical, 1Password, BBEdit, MailSteward, LittleSnitch, SpamSieve, and Domotz Pro.
Intego VirusBarrier Scanner also works, as does SilentKnight from Howard Oakley. Carbon Copy Cloner and Chronosync both work, although I had to make a minor change to the full-drive backup to exclude one folder in ~/Library that was throwing errors about not having access. Enpass Password manager also works well. I'm not testing everything in any methodical way, just using the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is Howard Oakley's early assessment of Ventura. The good news is that the memory leak in Finder seems to have been fixed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.