OS Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the forum, new to all things Mac.

Can anyone advise if it is possible to upgrade from Maverick OSX 10.9.5 to High Sierra or beyond where specifications permit?
As the system has not been updated for so long and the OS's have moved on I am not sure if an upgrade is possible in one move or whether it would need to be done in stages.

Thanks in advance for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
We need more information. What is the mac model and year you are wanting to upgrade?

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So you have a 2013 iMac. It can be upgraded to Mojave. I would suggest reading this first: Should you upgrade your Mac to macOS Mojave? | iMore

You can also upgrade to High Sierra which I would suggest doing first if you are not doing a clean install.
This link will provide a link to a full download: macOS High Sierra Direct Download from Apple Server

As for going directly to Mojave, I and most recommend a clean install. That means wiping and then installing Mojave but it also requires reinstalling all your apps.

You are behind by several versions - Maverick -> Yosemite -> El Capitan ->Sierra -> High Sierra -> Mojave -> and soon to come: Catalina. Some of your apps may not like a huge jump. Mojave will start warning you about the obsoletion of 32-bit apps to come.

I would recommend backing up with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! before you do anything first.

Check out the links and do some reading then post back any questions.

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@glucke

I've just replied to you on the Schweb's Lounge forum. Given you warm welcome etc. You said in your introduction that you were, and still are, a Windows user. I got the impression that you were considering getting a Mac.

But it seems that you are already a Mac user:)

Sorry for the confusion, but this post and your earlier one (about the same time) led me to misunderstand you. I guess you best ignore my reply to the other thread as my questions now seem out of date;D

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
G
Reaction score
@glucke

I've just replied to you on the Schweb's Lounge forum. Given you warm welcome etc. You said in your introduction that you were, and still are, a Windows user. I got the impression that you were considering getting a Mac.

But it seems that you are already a Mac user:)

Sorry for the confusion, but this post and your earlier one (about the same time) led me to misunderstand you. I guess you best ignore my reply to the other thread as my questions now seem out of date;D

Ian

No worries Ian, I am also a little confused with all things Mac but I am confident that there are many users like yourself who are willing to share their knowledge.

glucke

OP
G
Reaction score
Many thanks for this detailed and very informative reply. I knew the OS was a out of date but I didn't realise by how much.

My knowledge of Macs at this time is limited so I will investigate further all you have mentioned. I would not feel comfortable at this time doing a clean install but the option to go to High Sierra looks a better option for me at this stage.

Appreciate your advise.

glucke

OP
G
Reaction score
All this help is very much appreciated. Being a novice user I was feeling quite daunted at the prospect of upgrading but all this info is beginning to reassure me that I can at least move up to High Sierra.

glucke

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can anyone advise if it is possible to upgrade from Maverick OSX 10.9.5 to High Sierra or beyond where specifications permit?

Mavericks (mac OS 10.9)...is an older macOS version...and overall probably not a bad idea to upgrade to something newer. But my question to you is...do you have any user installed apps that you run on your Mac currently...and if so...you should check what newer macOS versions those apps are compatible with.

Mavericks (macOS 10.9)...is 5 OS versions old. macOS Mojave is 10.14 (5 versions newer). If you suddenly upgrade to Mojave...some of those apps may not be compatible with Mojave...forcing you to purchase newer Mojave compatible versions (which can be expensive). If you have no macOS user installed apps to be concerned about...then no worries.:)

As the system has not been updated for so long and the OS's have moved on I am not sure if an upgrade is possible in one move or whether it would need to be done in stages.

Generally speaking macOS upgrades do not need to be done in stages. But...since this computer has not been upgraded in a while...you might also need to consider what macOS upgrades are available to you. As mentioned...Mavericks is 5 macOS versions older...but...you may not have the option to upgrade to ANY of these 5 macOS versions. Apple has had a habit of removing older versions of the macOS from the Apple servers when a new macOS version is released. And if you did not at least download any of those older macOS versions...then some or all of them may not be available to you to install now (if desired).

You of course will have no problems getting Mojave (since it's the newest macOS version)...but if you wanted to install an older macOS (something newer than Mavericks...and older than Mojave)...you may not have many choices.

And since it sounds like you are new to Apple computers & the macOS...in case it wasn't clear...all macOS upgrades are free...and have been download only from the Apple servers since about 2012. This is why if an older OS version is not available to you in the Apple App Store (in the public area of the store or in your "purchases" area)...then it is not officially available to you.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for this wealth of information.

I confess to being a little daunted by the prospect of upgrading to Mojave so will absorb all the information that has been shared with me.
There are a couple of pieces of software that are installed on the iMac that I will read more about to determine their suitability or not as the case may be, for any potential upgrade.

Many thanks
glucke

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
There are a couple of pieces of software that are installed on the iMac that I will read more about to determine their suitability or not as the case may be, for any potential upgrade.

Many thanks
glucke

I didn't see it mentioned but there is the RoaringApps site you could have checked with and search for any application you are concerned about and it will probably show any compatibility or incompatibility with various Mac OS versions:
Application Compatibility Table — RoaringApps

Printers and scanners are often another place that get left behind with a Mac OS update, but sometimes a workaround solution.

Some of us don't bother upgrading to Apple's latest and greatest Mac OS as we don't like losing some of the features that seem to disappear. Some maybe small, but I don't like losing any that were important to me, so I normally end up usingMaverick OSX 10.9.5.

Works for me, but then again I don't need any of the new OS features either, even if my old 2011 could even run them, something else you might want to check on as well — can your Mac model actually run some of the new features??

Maybe check at everymac.com etc. and see what your Mac model can or cannot do before you get too excited about "upgrading".

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good advice from Patrick. By the way, this next macOS upgrade ("Catalina") will be a big one with lots of impacting changes. Apple has killed off all 32 bit apps, iTunes, and added new apps that supposedly will make your life easier on your Mac. :goofy

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. The mac is running an older version of Photoshop and MS Office for Mac, will definitely be looking closely at the options available.

glucke

OP
G
Reaction score
So many things to consider. Sounds like staying with 10.9.5 may be the way to go "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

glucke

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are going to be lots of folks who will defer upgrading to Catalina mainly because it will break every 32 bit app. Some of those apps you might have will no longer be developed or upgraded. Reprogramming a 32bit app so that it's 64bit is not easy which is why some developers will not do it.

Kind of where Apple is going nowadays. Sadly, even Windows 10 will run 32 bit apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.